Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Morning Sun Turkey Calls scratch box

DaveHawk

Just finished up a Scratch call. Wednesday I drove out to Morgan Town WV to visit an old friend Keith Castel. Gun make, engraver master. I told Keith I was making turkey calls and he said I have something for you. So I get there and he pulls out a scratch call made in the 1850's he thinks, judging from where he found it in an old addic in Shapsburg. He copyed and made hundreds of these back in the 70's, he gave me the pattern told me I can make them know. The call is known as "Old Faithful" Keith played it on a slab of slate then he pulled out one of my pot calls and played it on the pot call
....WOW ! Awesome sharp crisp, raspy, laud, creating that sort of echo tone of a hen back in the woods. I made 3, then finally hit the right angles depth in the box. These old time'rs knew a thing or two. It will be a great addition in the bag. Rock Maple scratch call. Keith said he never put a finish on his calls because it deadens the tone. So these will be rough to keep the tradition going.

Last edited:
Man I normally like your posts and your turkey calls but I can't figure out what the hell your trying to say in this one! ;)

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back