Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Moose options ?

Trigger50

I have spent the last couple weeks cruising the internet checking out DIY moose info. I wish that I would have drawn here in MN before they closed the season. I'm 38 yrs old & would like to moose hunt before I'm 50. What advice can anybody offer ? Ontario u have to hire a guide or get your license through one & I have heard more bad stories vs good from this setup. CO seems ok...3 pts & u have a chance. WY looks like at least 10 pts for a NR. I like the sticker price in MT but I couldn't find any info on draw odds. ME & VT seems reasonably priced, but Ive heard from several guys that have been applying for 10+ yrs. Idaho is next on my list to explore their website.

I would think DIY in Alaska would be your best bet. Lots of info on here for that.

Last edited:
Moose in Maine are very poor odds period resident or non res. I been applying for. 8 yrs. Buying the extra chances and zero. My buddy has family there and has been applying for 25 yrs. And still didn't drawn yet.......:cool:

I applied in Maine for the first time in 1997 and drew a tag. I took a 57" bull on the first evening of the hunt. I still apply every year in Maine, as well as New Hampshire, with hopes of drawing a tag so my wife can get a chance at a bull. Lots of public hunting area in Maine as well.

Last edited:
Alaska has a fair amount of DIY areas, it's not cheap though and most areas have a 3-4 brow tine or 50" wide antler requirement. You would also have to figure out how to salvage all of the meat, including the meat from the rib cage. They take meat salvage very seriously up there.

Some guys go to Newfoundland, guess that's another possible option.

If you click on the General Regulations and General Information Link under moose, the draw odds from the previous year are on page 8 for Montana.

http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/regulations/

There aren't too many places with great draw odds in Montana. Last year, in an area with roughly 2% chance of drawing, I drew with NO bonus points. Sometimes the Hunting Gods shine down on you, but only if your hat is in the ring.

Attachments

• BWMOOSE.jpg
    BWMOOSE.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 562
If you click on the General Regulations and General Information Link under moose, the draw odds from the previous year are on page 8 for Montana.

There aren't too many places with great draw odds in Montana. Last year, in an area with roughly 2% chance of drawing, I drew with NO bonus points. Sometimes the Hunting Gods shine down on you, but only if your hat is in the ring.

That is a great animal! Gives the rest of us some hope for a tag someday...

Great moose there! And yes, sometimes the draw Gods are in your corner. :)

Maine just changed their lottery system. After so many years (5, 10, and 15) they increase to improve your odds. So the first 5 years you get 1 point each year, 2 points each year from years 6-10, 3 points/year from 10-15, and 10 points a year after that. The biggest issue is that non-resident odds aren't very good, but after 15 years you'd have 30 bonus points in addition to buying multiple chances per year. Here's a link that might be helpful.

http://www.maine.gov/ifw/licenses_permits/lotteries/moose/index.htm#bonuspoints

The other option for Maine is to be the subpermittee for a Maine resident. Either way long odds. I know you said 50 was your cutoff, but what's the difference between 50 and 55? I'm a resident, and was lucky enough to draw at 16. It's well worth the wait IMO. One of my more memorable hunts with my Dad. I say apply - you just never know!

Go to Alaska!! Lots of DIY options up there and some are not all that expensive. We did a 10 day float, three guys, all killed 60+ inch bulls and only had about $5,000 bucks invested.

If you gotta do it, Alaska is the place. Draw odds are terrible in the lower 48. I've been lucky enough to draw in MT and WY, and have (I think) 15 points in UT. Apply anyway though. Man, Nameless Range, you didn't just score in the draw - you took an awesome bull. Congrats!

I went to Newfoundland in 2008 and got a bull the 2nd day. They require an outfitter but I considered cost to be reasonable. Pick an outfitter carefully and you get very high success rates.

Go to Alaska!! Lots of DIY options up there and some are not all that expensive. We did a 10 day float, three guys, all killed 60+ inch bulls and only had about $5,000 bucks invested.
That's a lot of wood for a lot of people.....I'll keep putting in for Maine and if I draw I can do the whole trip for less than a grand.....:cool:

Alaska. I did a DIY in 2006 out of Galena with Yukon Eagle Air, but Brownie has since retired. You might want to contact Larry Bartlett at Pristine Ventures.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohiochuck
Back