Caribou Gear

Moon Phase

I also hunt farms that have crops for human food not ones that plat for animals. A food plot is just that(man made) a wallow or water hole is not man made. A food plot is for shooters not hunters. Not to sat it is all bad but very easy to shoot if you bait bear, deer or other animals not much of a challenge. but to control the poulation of the heards and it is safer in populated (human).areas

since you have no clue what you are talking about, explain this to me please. what crops out there are planted for human consumption only? field corn? soy beans?

a wallow or water hole is not man made. really? who puts those tires out in the fields that I have seen folks hunting near? the animals drag them around? and have seen on my trips out there folks using dozers to build ponds for the animals. nice try though.

a food plot is for shooters not hunters? how many bow hunters you know can shoot across a 2-3 acre food plot? and, FYI, those crop fields you hunt around, are man made. learn before you speak. you have no clue what you speak of. and any time you want to come and show your expertise in the midwest, let me know. you can come and stay at the farm and hunt the shawnee any time. bring your bow or shotgun. we'll see just how good a hunter you are when you can't see for miles on end.:eek: and you have to have the animal in close for a good/clean shot.

Always have better luck when I am out in the field.

Miller is full of the simplest and most sound advice. Last fall in Kansas, I was going to bag the last day, due to 50 mph winds. He calls me out by saying, "Can't shoot one in the motel room."

Next morning, I wake up, want to stay in the motel as I listen to the wind blast the side of the building. A little voice in my mind keeps saying, "Your can't shoot one in the motel room. You can't shoot one in the motel room......."

I go out, if for no other reason than to get that voice out of my mind. Shoot a buck in the plumb thickets, and laugh as I think about Miller and his always sage advice.

Miller = Yogi Bera of the hunting world ;)

I go out, if for no other reason than to get that voice out of my mind. Shoot a buck in the plumb thickets, and laugh as I think about Miller and his always sage advice.
I'd be all for getting out in horrible weather too if I was waking up thinking of miller after being away from my wife for nearly 3 weeks... ;)

Hunters agree

Boy this has taken a left turn on a straight road. Lets say for all hunters that yes you may hunt different then other but you are still out enjoying the great outdoors and yes the food plot hunter V shooter will go on for years but if you enjoy yourself and get your kids in the field we will all become closer.

Thanks to all and now I must hit the great outdoors for three weeks
Good Day

Money

Well it does hold up. The marketing of plant food for deer back east has become a multi million dollar buss along with charging $$$$$$ to hunt on land because the private land owners have that option to do so. Then they want help from dnrc for $$$ to help take care of the population. Its all about the money and I believe it is based on the difference of the amount of public land available to hunters. I did not sat it was bad just hunting and shooting are different. You are welcome to come out here anytime and i will hunt with you and yes it would be fun.

Sounds like you got all phases of Deer Hunting figured out. Except the Pounding of your chest and making statements out your azz. Know what you are talking about before you talk badly about the way one Hunter hunts from state to state. I have heard that East-West crap for years, it just doesn't hold up like you think it does anymore. John

I would sure like to see some of you western boys try and bow hunt some eastern white tail or Sika deer in the swamps or hard woods. With out long range rifles hunting all you need is to slip in with a half mile and if your worth your weight is salt you can make the shot. I was a sharp shooter in the service and shooting something that I could not see the white of there eyes has not draw for me. But I can see where sharing a hunt or any sort is good how every you chose.

MH, You can bring up money as a side note, but that is not what you stated in your post. You said that you didn't hunt like the Eastern Boys, you hunted "Fair Chase". That is the crap I was referring to. And those food plots do not stop at the Mississippi River, whether it be Bio-Logic or an Alpha field that brings in Muleys or Elk. I have hunted out west since 1978 and I know what hunting is about in both places. If you have never sat in an Alabama bottom when a Buck come through or seen a Louisiana Buck come through a cut over at dusk, don't be so Judgemental about other Hunters. Here we have had most of our lands cutover and planted with a fast growing Pine Forest. The first 3 or 4 years everthing is great, then it turns into a sterile Canopy of pine tops. I encourage the members on my 880 acre lease to plant long narrow food plots on Pipeline R/Ws to help hold deer as they cross our property. I also have a 200 acre bottom that was spared that I have desinated an Off Limits area that gives the deer a place on the lease to rest and not be hunted. I really cannot think of a Trophy class buck that came from a food plot, they're too smart for that. We can cull our young does in a food plot, but since we can take 3 does a year the older does are just as smart as some of those old bucks. This lease has consistently given up 15 to 20 deer a year. As far as the $$$ from the Dept. of Wildlife, that doesn't happen here. That is where I stand on that. John

Well it does hold up. The marketing of plant food for deer back east has become a multi million dollar buss along with charging $$$$$$ to hunt on land because the private land owners have that option to do so.(so, guessing they don't have landowners out there that charge people to hunt their land? again, learn before you speak. have heard all about the landowners tags they have out there. so maybe you should remove cranium from rectum. oh, and don't they have landowners out there that charge what they call trespass fees to hunt their land?) Then they want help from dnrc for $$$ to help take care of the population.(which state does this? know here in illinois, they do not get any help $$$$ from the state for taking care of the population. the state does that itself by selling hunting permits.) Its all about the money(really? you mean they come up with new and better scopes for long range shooting, better camo to sneak up on them critters out there from 500 yards away, and better ammunition to be able to shoot that 500 yard shot? well, I'll be danged.) and I believe it is based on the difference of the amount of public land available to hunters. I did not sat it was bad just hunting and shooting are different.(and you obviously have no clue what either is.) You are welcome to come out here anytime and i will hunt with you and yes it would be fun.(pretty sure you were invited back east to show all us shooters, as you call us, how to be hunters. scared to show us how? or afraid what you call hunting, wouldn't work back here when you have to come up with new ways of getting CLOSE to game?)

John, have a feeling this guy couldn't find a deer back here if he didn't "scope it" from a mile away. more to hunting back here than sitting and watching. you have to wear out some leather to find the trails, bedding areas, feeding areas, water areas where the deer are traveling to and from. no such thing as sitting high and watching.

Don't Hate

Scope-- its funny you ask? dont be made at us in the west because we have the optition to hunt the deep woods or the open breaks we do shoot from 50 to say 500. Its the same here on whitetails find the traveling,bedding and feeding it is not that hard if you have alot of time.I am sure its the same for you most states have record numbers of deer and whittails are easy to pattern. to grunt and rattle
they come running. good luck hunting

John, have a feeling this guy couldn't find a deer back here if he didn't "scope it" from a mile away. more to hunting back here than sitting and watching. you have to wear out some leather to find the trails, bedding areas, feeding areas, water areas where the deer are traveling to and from. no such thing as sitting high and watching.

public lands

We have 35 million acres to hunt that is public land no need to pay.

Scope-- its funny you ask? dont be made at us in the west because we have the optition to hunt the deep woods or the open breaks we do shoot from 50 to say 500. Its the same here on whitetails find the traveling,bedding and feeding it is not that hard if you have alot of time.I am sure its the same for you 1) most states have record numbers of deer and 2) whittails are easy to pattern. 3) to grunt and rattle they come running. good luck hunting

montanahunting...welcome to the sight...and stepping in your first 'forums bear trap'...lol
we all make our assumptions on past experiences, and everyones are a little different...I have a hunted WT in the midwest MO & NE all my life, my experiences have lead to a few different assumptions:
1) yep, most states do have a record number of deer back here in the midwest...and thats a good thing.
2) WT can be subject to pattern, but they are very wary, elusive and endure a great deal of human contact in their domain, they are very adaptable...most hunting is done on small (relative to western standards) parcels of land...what your neighbor does today can instantly change the entire pattern you refer to.
3) contrary to what the show up and shoot shows make people think...in all my years of hunting WT, I've had only limited success with grunts and rattling (and that 'nnaaahhh' sound the show up and shoots use :rolleyes:)...most of the time they pay little to no attention to these...I like to do it and its worked some...but they dont come running in like a bunch of mallards hittin the dekes hard after a good calling.
nope, hunting WT is a damn natural hunt, whether grain fields, food plots, hardwoods, hills, ditches, bottomland, thickets (and I mean thick), its all on their turf and they know every inch of it. and btw...I'm yet to see a spooked WT stop and look back once hes on the run...just mho.

Last edited:
back to moon transit. This is the site I use
http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneDay.php

this is the transit for here in Md today,

this is what you look at; Moon transit 2:51 a.m.

There are 4 feeding time during a 24 hour period.

2 main feeds 12 hours apart and 2 minor 12 hours apart. SO divide the clock into 4 sections.

2:51 AM - 2:51 PM feed begins 3 hours before the transit time, so here the deer will be up feeding at or around 11:51 AM - 11:51 PM

Now move around the the minor feed. which begins around 4 hours after the major transit time and will end about 6 hours after the major transit time.

I saw one of those TV shows the other day that said to be sure to hunt the middle of the day during the full moon... You would be surprised at the activity. Anybody have any experience w/ that theory?
As for the food plot argument, food plots and feeders do provide food for game. They also provide exposure of the game to the hunter. And that is how and why they are utilized most of the time, that and to help seed companies sell a lot of high priced seeds.
They are not considered habitat per se, but they do help the animals out if used properly through times of stress, like deep winter or late summer. Food plots can also provide nutritional additives to help grow antlers, and when utilized w/ that in mind, can be very effective. Food plots and feeders also concentrate game and make them more susceptible to spreading disease.
Natural habitat can be stimulated better by prescribed fire, when feasible, or lightly disking and scarifying the soil to regenerate the existing seedbank. Those native forbs and grasses have been feeding our wildlife for quite awhile w/o the help of a lot of high priced seeds and fertilizer. Both methods will work, if done properly, but oftentimes the simplest way is the best way.

obviously Miller's advice is sound and I personally agree and do not let the moon phase impact wether I go or not but the moon may have an influence on where and when I hunt, very much like how you may approach where you hunt in the morning vs where you may hunt the evening!

for whitetails: some may have positive experience with major and minor feeding times based on the position of the moon which i believe could have an effect on feeding patterns. If you primarily hunt food sources than yes it may have an impact but if you do not hunt the food you will find that the moon has less of an impact. Science doesn't support the full moon having an effect feeding habits of whitetailed deer and if so then please share it with us!

mule deer: typically inhabit very different terrain although some inhabit and utilize crops sources (which in Montana are not food plots but they are in Ohio :eek:) and I would tend to believe that those animals would exhibit similar behavior to whitetails in areas with similar geographic characteristics. Mule deer above the timber line are another story altogether and i believe to be one of the most difficult animals to match skills with!

there are way to many other contributing factors to wether or not you will be successful than to focus to much on the moon specifically!

as far as hunting the middle of the day during a full moon I can honestly say that my own personal knowledge based on historic and photgraphic data supports this claim. :D

Back