Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Montana Youth Deer

Summitthunting

I'm heading to Bozeman this fall to take my 14yr old nephew deer hunting and wanted some advise. I already have some locations picked out and camping nailed down but when should I take him. My schedule would permit either Oct 20-23, or Nov 10-13. Would I be better off to hit the youth season, or try to catch some rut action? I do not have a tag so quantity is a higher priority than quality. Your thoughts?

Whitetails or mule deer?

Why Bozeman area for deer? Just curious, as there is much better deer hunting not too far from here. You will probably drive by better deer hunting on your way here.

I would try November. Rut is on for both species, by that time.

Good luck.

Whitetails or mulies? Which ever one comes within 200 yards. I was thinking Bozeman area because I have limited time. Drive up from Denver to Bozeman thursday morning, hunt thursday evening thru Sunday morning, drive back to Denver Sunday night. We hunted north of Whitehall two years ago, wasn't impressed with the number of animals that we saw.

I would head up I-25, hit I-90, and hang a right when you get into Montana. The quantity and quality is probably better out in the eastern part of the state than in the mountains. There's plenty of whitetails and muleys to chase out that way.

If you weren't impressed with the deer numbers around Whitehall, you probably won't be too impressed with Bozeman either.

IMO, you'd be a lot better off driving a few more hours and having less hunting time, than spending it around the Bozeman area. There are deer there, but its mostly elk country.

why don't you hunt in Colorado plenty of deer everywhere Ive been

I'd rather hunt Montana because I can drive up to Bozeman and hunt for 4 days for less coin than buying my nephew a plane ticket and a non-resident youth deer tag. Not to mention I like the adventure of hunting out of state.

Avsbuck.jpg

First day of last years youth hunt, this is the lads first deer hunt. Used my T3 22/250 to take the buck @ 190 yds opening morn.

Avsbuck.jpg

First day of last years youth hunt, this is the lads first deer hunt. Used my T3 22/250 to take the buck @ 190 yds opening morn.

That right there, is why WE need to STEP UP. Parents of kids like that don't, may as well be telling their kids, "I got mine.....". Cool pic....

Awesome deer Mato, that's a day your son will never forget. I'm scratching Bozeman and going back to the drawing board.

Awesome deer Mato, that's a day your son will never forget. I'm scratching Bozeman and going back to the drawing board.

Summit-
I'd look south of Whitehall if I were you. Anywhere from Twin Bridges south down the Ruby Valley. Majority is private, but landowners are good about letting you on, if you will shoot a doe or 2 or 3 or 4 first. :)

I would think that would be a great hunt for a youth....whack a couple of does and a decent chance at a nice whitetail.

Not my son, he and his parents are good friends of mine. They don't hunt and asked if I'd help him out. Now he loves to hunt, shoot and anything to do with the outdoors. Got him thru Hunter Safety, spent the summer at the range watching him shoot the heckola out of the gongs. And got him to apply for tags, he also drew on his first try a Mtn Goat tag, go figure...

Very cool Mato. Good onya for doing that!
Looks like that billy has a pretty good story behind it (one that involved a pretty good fall!)

ah yeah you could say that, better the goat than us though...grin

Onpoint-not sure I followed what you meant?

Thx

Thumbs up for teaching that kid to hunt. Jump over onto the sportmens issues part of this forum and read about what's been going on up in Helena that could affect that boy's ability to keep enjoying what you are teaching him about. And what a lot of people have been doing about it. Hopefully that will clear things up......

Summit, I think MDunc had the best advice for you....

Good Luck!!! I will have a youth with me this year too.... an armed youth for a change... gonna be a fun year!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seabee Shooter
Back