Montana Sheep 501/502

Beartooth83

Any tips on 501/502 ? I've never seen a sheep in either, but see there is unlimited permits up until the quota is met. Any points in the right direction?

I hunted 5O2 last season. Look up the threads for some of my experiences.

My best advice is wait until mid-October before commiting a large amount of time to hunt the unit.

If I had to do it all over again, I would have gone out in late August for a week and spent the time scouting locations to return to hunt a couple weeks in October. Google earth and maps can't translate how steep the country actually is. Make sure you can have at least one friend(preferably 2) along. Just to help get an animal out of those mountains safely and with in the check in deadline.

Last edited:
I'd do some searches, those hunts have been discussed some, but you're not likely to find much for specific info mostly because specific info doesn't exist. FWP lists where all the kills happen, that's probably the best info you can get as far as specific locations. The best advice is to just buy the tag and go. I'd imagine if you spent 7 days every year, eventually you'd kill a ram. Success rates are low, but that's the nature of the hunt. Its one I plan to do in the next few years myself. Good luck if you go, let us know how it goes.

I'd like to do this hunt in the next couple years. Most likely solo or with a fellow backpacker (who doesn't hunt but likes to be in the high country.) That way there is no deciding who gets to the shot! Thanks for the input guys.

Don't forget, even though it's a guaranteed tag, you still have to put in for the draw. You'll have to decide about this year by the end of April.

I'm very familiar with the process. I've been putting in to the special three for many years while I lived in MT. It won't be this year. I've got other hunting commitments this season.

Good luck if you go. I have 2 neighbors with Montana sheep from an unlimited area. I think it is one of the top trophies in the US.

If you like spending time in the Beartooths - then by all means it's the tag for you.

I grew up running around up there and have done the tag once. I know I'll do it again. Last time I got the tag was in 2004. I researched a bit - you can get a list of all the kill 'sites' from the biologist. It's pretty rough - basically telling you what drainage or peak it was killed by. I've got family in the area too, so I spent time pouring over maps and telling/hearing stories.

I hiked / hunted my butt off for 9 days. Covered the entire Fishtail and Stillwater Plateau's. The Fishtail is really cool - there's no formal trails and never gets hiked on.

I would say that recent info can be hard to come by unless you have good local connections. There's a ton of country and not many sheep. It's a really fun tag if you love the country and want to hike around it with a rifle.

I've done extensive backpacking in the Beartooth's while I lived there. Summitted Granite Peak via Skytop drainage in 2012. I sure wished I held a goat tag on that trip. Would have been easy pickings on a nice Billy.

Sheep would be the ULTIMATE trophy. And in this style of hunt, it would be an epic.

A few pics from the trip...

Attachments

• IMAG0545.jpg
    IMAG0545.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 1,769
  • SDC12322.jpg
    SDC12322.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 1,769
  • IMAG0578.jpg
    IMAG0578.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 1,741
  • IMAG0597.jpg