Montana Public Land Antelope

Montanakid

With no school and a few days off of work, me and a good friend headed out to try to fill my antelope tag. First day we drove around and glassed most of the public land in the unit we could hunt and didn't see a thing. Went out this morning and it was a complete 180! Right of the bat we had a herd of about 14 or 15 spotted and we put a stalk on em. Got about 400 yards away and I missed right below him. We had a good idea of where they went though so we moved up onto a tall butte and found them again. There was a bunch more where they ran to so we had officially found where they had been hiding. The buck I had missed was decent but nothing to crazy. We spotted another buck that looked bigger and he took all the does and moved them out of where we could hunt. We came back into that spot midday and found 3 way off that we wanted to get a closer look at. As we were coming across the field I just happened to look off to my right and see that the whole herd had come back and were laying down in the field...Except for one doe staring right at us. We laid down for about 10 minutes and she must not have known what we were cause the whole herd calmed back down and started to feed. We then proceeded to crawl little over 100 yards in the open alfalfa
to get in closer. I ranged the bigger buck at 285 and got a solid rest. Put it on the top of his back and got him! Couldn't be happier with him and we got it all on film. I will share the video once were done putting it all together. It was a great hunt with a great friend, and the hard stalk and the long pack out was totally worth it! Unfortunately only my pictures seem to be too big so not sure if the pictures worked ::(
photo.php

I cant get any of them to work. Like BigSkyHuntinTV on facebook and you can see us on there. We will have the video on there and probably youtube aswell when we get it all edited:)

I think I've only seen alfalfa on one public piece in my life! Keep that one a secret!

Could be a state land farming lease. I too find it a bit unusual for there to be alfalfa on public.

Back