Montana Moose Hunt - Raingear

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjthehunter

My uncle pulled a once in a lifetime moose tag in Montana after applying for about 25 years. I'll be going out the last week of September to help him for a week. I have been needing to replace my raingear for some time and I think this is as good of an excuse as any.

I'll probably go First Lite as I get the best pricing through them. Do I go with something really tough like the Omen, or do I go with a light weight packable set?

I'm leaning towards a light packable set. Just looking to see if anyone has any recommendations.

Several years ago I switched from First Lite and KUIU rain gear to Outdoor Research. I have their Foray rain jacket and pants. Light weight (12oz for the jacket, 10oz for the pants), packable, and so far very tough. I've put over 500 miles on the AT through them and 2 or 3 seasons in the heavy brush of East TN hunting. I purchased a second jacket, the newer Foray II, for everyday wear. OR is part of Expertvoice if you qualify for military, LEO, first responder, or similar discount.

If you decide you want to go with First Lite, I have a lightly used SEAK jacket, brown size XL, that's been sitting in my closet for a couple years that I'll sell ya.

Several years ago I switched from First Lite and KUIU rain gear to Outdoor Research. I have their Foray rain jacket and pants. Light weight (12oz for the jacket, 10oz for the pants), packable, and so far very tough. I've put over 500 miles on the AT through them and 2 or 3 seasons in the heavy brush of East TN hunting. I purchased a second jacket, the newer Foray II, for everyday wear. OR is part of Expertvoice if you qualify for military, LEO, first responder, or similar discount.

If you decide you want to go with First Lite, I have a lightly used SEAK jacket, brown size XL, that's been sitting in my closet for a couple years that I'll sell ya.
I ended up ordering the Stormlight Jacket and the Stormtight Pants. I'm a size L in most things.

I'm on Guidefitter. As a fishing guide I'm able to get deals through there. I haven't looked into expertvoice. But I will have to check it out!

Let me see how the day goes I've got some work to catch up on! I'll get a thread posted in the next day or two!

@Greenhorn I decided not to post anything about it. I see no benefit in sharing. It wasn't my tag. If the tag holder wanted to post something, I'll comment and share pics, but otherwise, not something I'm going to spend time sharing with a bunch of trolls. I get a lot more enjoyment telling the story over a beer with a friend vs telling it to strangers who will just be assholes about anything and everything given the opportunity.

I have some stops to make on my way out to MT this spring to share the story & pics with some.

I have some stops to make on my way out to MT this spring to share the story & pics with some.
Can't wait to hear the story, hope a 10mm is involved.

il_1588xN.330668545.jpg

@Greenhorn I get a lot more enjoyment telling the story over a beer with a friend vs telling it to strangers who will just be assholes about anything and everything given the opportunity.

Stop by friend, I'd love to hear the story.

How'd the raingear perform? I'm thinking of getting some and want to know from somebody who's really put it to the test.

How'd the raingear perform? I'm thinking of getting some and want to know from somebody who's really put it to the test.
I'd hit up someone that was in SE AK this fall. They will have a better perspective on what worked and what didn't work I'd bet

Goretex sitka gear works great. Wore it in the rain for 5 days this year and was out all day.

Don't know why you'd need that to hunt off Norris road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back