Montana Considers Buck-Only Rule for Whitetails

noharleyyet

February 8, 2010.

In response to declining whitetail numbers in the northwest part of the state, Montana Fish. Wildlife, and Parks is considering whether to limit the whitetail hunting season in Region 1 to bucks only.

If the proposal passes, it will be the first time the region will have buck-only hunting since 2001.

FWP will consider the new rule at a meeting in Helena on February 11. If it passes, it will be in place for the 2010 and 2011 seasons.

For more information, see the story from Montana TV station KECI.

story: http://www.keci.com/Buck-Only-Hunting-Possible-for-Next-Season/6290277

I can't believe there wasn't anything on the original season proposals for region 1, someone must've forgot to get their paperwork in or something.
I wouldn't mind if they did the same thing in region 2.

I dont have a problem with it either in Region 2. But, if the FWP is going to ask me to for-go hunting opportunity and B-tags, thats fine if it will help the low deer numbers.

Additionally, the FWP should be telling the cat hunters they are going to increase lion quotas to help the sagging deer populations as well.

It seems to me that any "compromising" that is done is always the deer and elk hunters being asked to give up something...the bad times need to be shared by all.

Speaking of which, me and quite a few buddies wrote in on the season proposal comments to increase lion tags until deer numbers rebound. You think there's anyway they could add that in without it being on the original proposal sheet? If they don't its two more years of the low quotas and permits right?

Quota numbers and permit numbers can change each year, its season structures that can only change every 2 years,,,,dumb I know!

But they've got a set window they need to keep the numbers within right? and that window can only be changed every two years?
It's bad, I'm pretty good friends with two different outfitters that make most their living off running cats.
Even they admit there's too many lions right now.

I heard through the grapevine that cat quotas are going to increase, but likely not enough to really matter.

I know everyone wants to blame wolves for the low deer numbers, but IMO, its more of a cat issue and an issue of 3 years of OTC deer B-tags. You cant harvest at those rates for that long and not impact the deer numbers, in particular the high doe harvest. At the same time you're whacking the does you also create "trophy" cat areas out of the 100 and 200 districts and reduce the kill by 200 or so cats per year?

Not a lot of good decision making in that process.

Back