Montana backcountry mulie hunt

mdunc8

I live over in Belgrade and have been thinking about heading out to the eastern part of the state to do some hunting next fall. I'm thinking about spending 4-5 days hiking and hunting out of a backpack, so I'll need a fairly big chunk of land to hunt. I work on the lower Yellowstone during the summer and early fall, so I've spent some time around the wilderness area just north of Terry. I was also thinking about checking out the Missouri Breaks. I'm not really worried about trophy potential. I'd be more than happy with a chance at a decent 4x4, but I'm just as interested in not seeing as many hunters as I had to deal with around town this year. I did get a nice 3x3, but I think the area I hunted gets quite a bit of pressure. I'd appreciate any advice on whether Terry or the Breaks would be good options for this type of hunt or if there's another option out there that I'm not thinking about.

If you're hauling in and staying out of your backpack, I would think you could get away from the crowds.

I don't know. From what I've hunted, about the time you think you're getting far enough from one ATV trail, you're getting close to another one. You can get away from the ATVs by going towards the reservior, but then you end up running into guys hunting from boats.

As far as the tags go, it is general season for mule deer in most of the breaks and they give out hundreds of cow tags.

There is plenty of ground to hunt and bucks to be had, but secluded you won't be.

You live where you put your pack on your back and go for several days. The East can be hunted from a base camp. You can get anywhere you want in a day's hike.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTOG
Back