Caribou Gear Tarp

Minnesota steelhead streams

Beartooth83

Any of you Minnesota fly fisherman have any info on the spring steelhead run in the north shore streams? I moved from MT to Fargo and have been trying to find a place fairly close (200-300 miles) to fly fish. Not really interested in pulling streamers for northerns or bass. This spring steelhead run sounds intriguing, but there are so many tributaries up there, I don't know where to start. A point in the right direction would be appreciated and I could give you some key info if any of you are planning on heading west. Thanks

I haven't fished steelheads in probably 10 years, but the Lester River is where I did the majority of it in college, primarily because it was close to campus. This might be a decent place to start. You also need to check out the Brule in northern WI. I have some friends up along the shore that still fish them quite a bit, I will touch base with them and see what's going on up there. I think we are about a month out from things heating up.

Check out this website too:
http://minnesotasteelheader.com/

Why on earth would you not be interested in pulling for northerns or smallies?:eek: Have you ever seen a northern eat a fly?---Its worth the price of admission

I went to college in Minnesota and spent every bit of free time possible chasing steelhead and lake run browns in Minnestota, Wisconsin and the UP of Michigan.
I would spend a good bit of time on Brule River, just east of Duluth in Wisconsin. But, the best and biggest Midwestern fishing I had was on the Lake Michigan rivers in north eastern Wisconsin (Marinette and Peshtigo area) and the rivers of the UP. The Manistique River was always good to us. I love fishing the Lake Michigan rivers as you never know what you will catch. Landed some monster lake run browns and lost a few rigs to what I assume were sturgeon. AND, the smallie fishing can be mind blowing.
-Cody

I went to college in Minnesota and spent every bit of free time possible chasing steelhead and lake run browns in Minnestota, Wisconsin and the UP of Michigan.
I would spend a good bit of time on Brule River, just east of Duluth in Wisconsin. But, the best and biggest Midwestern fishing I had was on the Lake Michigan rivers in north eastern Wisconsin (Marinette and Peshtigo area) and the rivers of the UP. The Manistique River was always good to us. I love fishing the Lake Michigan rivers as you never know what you will catch. Landed some monster lake run browns and lost a few rigs to what I assume were sturgeon. AND, the smallie fishing can be mind blowing.
-Cody

Great advice here. The Brule is probably your closest bet for one of the more well known steelhead rivers and its a great fishery. The tribs on the north shore of MN have steelies, but most of the ones I checked out are pretty short as the first 'barrier' to migrating fish isn't too far in from the lake (compared to rivers like the Brule and those in eastern WI). Check out the MN DNR's regulations online and you can see which streams have longer stretches for lake-run fish. I never made it up to Grand Marais so can't comment about those rivers, but I've heard good things. You can't beat the scenery on the north shore though and there are some nice campgrounds which will be nearly empty in April, at least that was how it was last time I was up there.

Don't overlook fly fishing for smallies. I lived in MN for a few years and once summer rolled around you can have some killer fly fishing on the Mississippi or St Croix rivers. These things attacking a surface popper or floating minnow is tough to beat.

Last edited:
The tribs on the north shore of MN have steelies, but most of the ones I checked out are pretty short as the first 'barrier' to migrating fish isn't too far in from the lake (compared to rivers like the Brule and those in eastern WI).

Don't overlook fly fishing for smallies. I lived in MN for a few years and once summer rolled around you can have some killer fly fishing on the Mississippi or St Croix rivers. These things attacking a surface popper or floating minnow is tough to beat.[/QUOTE]

Both of these are definately true.

We primarily fished the mouths along the northshore, it gets steep quick and the fish just can't make it very far. I am not sure if I caught a fish out of eyeshot of the lake.

The Mississippi in central MN (Brainderd area) has some big smallies, and they don't have alot of pressure as the locals only seem to want to fish eyes.

If you want some steelhead, you better join the crowd...... As stated before, most of Minnesota's steelhead are caught along the shoreline of Lake Superior and not in streams. This is due to their short, small drainages, and barrier falls. There are a few streams along Minnesota's shoreline that have good steelhead runs that get farther upstream, such as the Knife River, which is one of the larger steelhead fisheries on the southern half of the western shoreline. There is also great fishing along the shore but be prepared to share it with everyone else that drives up every weekend to fish it. You are likely to catch a few coho's and chinook's as well along the shoreline. If i were you i'd consider going inland on anyone of the Lake Superior streams and fish for Brookies. I think this is one of the most under underutilized fisheries within the entire state. No you're not going to catch a record breaking brookie but its great fishing. Big Thirtynine Creek, Stewart River, Gooseberry River, Sucker River, and many more are great brook trout fisheries.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ss8
Back