Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Mike Eastmans' Mule Deer Hunting Tactics

I ran into a couple of nice guys that were pheasant hunting in ND in November with their dogs where I was. I noticed they had Wyoming plates and I asked them where they lived and they said in Powell. I then said that they lived where the Eastmans were and asked if they knew any of them. The only comment back was that the Eastmans were arrogant plicks and the conversation immediately turned to the dogs they were using, LOL!

Looking on my bookshelf, I own a number of books about Mule Deer and Mike's is one. I figure I can learn something from anyone. Once I'd killed a couple I was able to kinda separate the wheat from the chaff if you will.

Gotta admit, to be a "personality" you gotta self promote. Most Celebrities are disliked by the people in their own community. I see it with a local "Horse Whisperer" .

I know I'll get flamed for this, but the best book I've read for Mule Deer in my opinion has been Kirt Darners "How to find giant bucks". You'll have to buy it used on Amazon or Barnes & Noble

Yes I know he got in trouble, but the book is best that I have read and I think I have them all from Eastmans, Geist, Long, Shue, Zumbo, etc....

I'm a newbie to the site so I won't say anything too controversial but I subscribe to the school of though you can learn something from anyone. I would have to say that the No Fences Here slogan gets a little old but it does seam that Guy at least is spending more time on public for elk at least.

Also it’s hard to blame anyone for hunting great private land especially if you are trying to get video, pics etc... It's a business just like another. I agree there are better hunters out there like David Long, Dan Evens, Randy Ulmer Etc... But for instance David has to bang it out on public land and kills maybe 2 or 3 animals a year if he is lucky. That’s not enough for a TV show plain and simple.

Everyone On this site remembers Guy's Giant Kansas mule deer but another 160's buck on public land is well just another hunt. Even if it is on public land. Like it or not Big Deer / Elk etc sell products and are valuators’ to a lot of people in the industry.

The sad truth is most people don’t care how or where animals are hunted.

They are just trying to make a living doing what they love. Also when I am Mikes age I hope I am hunting private land instead of public land at tree line, I love hunting that way but its hard: ) I wouldn't mind waking up in a warm bed for a change.

Finished the book

I suppose if you live in New York and have never set foot out west it would be ok, but I didnt get anything out of it :rolleyes:

I know I'll get flamed for this, but the best book I've read for Mule Deer in my opinion has been Kirt Darners "How to find giant bucks". You'll have to buy it used on Amazon or Barnes & Noble

Yes I know he got in trouble, but the book is best that I have read and I think I have them all from Eastmans, Geist, Long, Shue, Zumbo, etc....

Not specifically for mule deer but Jack Atcheson and Duncan Gilchrist have some pretty good hunting books out there if you are looking for more reading material.

Finished the book

I suppose if you live in New York and have never set foot out west it would be ok, but I didnt get anything out of it :rolleyes:

I grew up in Utah but my father was not a big game hunter. He loved hunting birds. I then went to school in Missouri. After graduation I moved to Wyoming and i had no idea what i was doing. I spent the first season sitting over a meadow about half a mile from the road waiting for a buck to walk by.

I bought Mike's book "Hunting High Country Mule Deer" and started to learn a few new ideas. I bought Zumbo's books, Longs, etc. and I thought they were helpful for someone that was starting from zero.

I look back at them now and think this stuff should have been common sense but when you know nothing they are a good start. For a lot of the people on here that grew up hunting the west or had a good mentor they may not be helpful but if you are green they help. At least they did for me.

Was searching and came across this thread.
Don’t know Mike, but he has been filmed killing an awful lot of great bucks (and antelope).
I think his antelope book is very good.
FWIW :)

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back