PEAX Equipment

Michael's Pheasants

Calif. Hunter

My son, Michael, was drawn for a Game Bird Heritage Apprentice Hunt put on by the CA Dept of Fish and Game. They are free, sponsored by the fees for our Upland Game stamps. We went to the one so-sponsored by the Taft Hunting Club last Saturday. The members of that club provided the grounds. It was a fun day, and Michael got his 2-bird limit - a couple of nice roosters.

Attachments

• Michael's pheasants.jpg
    Michael's pheasants.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 695
congrats to Mikey. :)
Im anxiously following his progression into big game via dad's pics. you are doing a amazing job Cali, you gotta be beaming proud of him.:)

Congrats to Michael! Great job.

Love it when young hunters get a chance to get involved and especially when others work so hard to help with their success. Congrats to you Cali. Looks like you have done a great job of bringing another young man to our ranks.

He had to change into his converse hi-tops as quickly as he could...his boots were pretty muddy and wet, although his feet were dry, thanks to GoreTex and Rocky youth boots.

These hunts are really great - I highly recommend them to any CA hunters. They offer hunts just for juniors (Apprentice Hunts) and Family Apprentice Hunts, where I would get to hunt with him. We've put in for a few more of both of these.

The Taft Sportmen's Club went all out. Gift bags containing a hat, ear plugs, shooting glasses, etc. were provided to all youht hunters. Dogs and handlers were provided, and our guys worked very hard to get Michael his second bird. The first one came easy, as it was missed by hunters in another field and was flying directly towards him. The previous Saturday, he had spent all day shooting incoming clays for his Boy Scout Shotgun Shooting Merit badge, so it was an easy shot for him. He is not used to flushing the birds over a pointing dog himself, so that took some getting used to, for him. (We did not flush the birds for him....)

He is anxious to get started on big game, but in CA you have to be 12...but next year he can start putting in for special youth drawings for elk and deer!!!! He will have a much better chance of getting drawn than I will, even with my max points. In February, we head to NM for javelina. That will be his first "big game" animal - if javelina really count as big game. ;)

Any recipe ideas for Thanksgiving pheasant? For the first time in years, we won't be hosting any guests and have decided to just have pheasant. The birds were skinned, so the bodies are mostly whole - legs and thighs still attached. I was thinking of baking them in some kind of sauce, then making gravy out of it for mashed potatos and dressing....

One I used to use is to brown the pheasant pieces in oil, add some onions and garlic, remove the pheasant pieces after they are done, mix sour cream into the oil, scraping the pan well, add some sliced olives, season to taste and put the pheasant pieces back into the sauce to heat. Serve over rice, wild rice, etc.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back