Me and Wife First Antelope

wildaggie13

IMG_0499.JPGIMG_0497.JPGIMG_0495.JPGIMG_0491.JPGIMG_0487.JPG

Well we just got back from our very first antelope hunt. Surprisingly the hunt was way better than I expected. I'm such a nice guy that I let my wife hunt pronghorn when I myself have never gone. With 450 tags I figured I would be fighting the masses to get one shot. The night before opener we arrived in Wyoming and scouted for a few hours. Right off the bat I found a heard of 30 antelope. We bedded them down and went back to the truck. The next morning I glassed from the truck and found the entire heard again about 1.5 mi. away. We got our gear and headed towards them. Eventually we got pinned down in the open prairie at 400 yards. My wife aimed my Kimber 270 and shot the biggest goat mid body. The goat took off in a dead run right at us and stopped at 120 yards. After zooming out the scope and adjusting the turret, I got her on target and she dropped him in the chest!! It was awesome!
Now being from Texas I like to think that I'm at a disadvantage to residents or closer states. I might have just gotten lucky on this trip or I might actually be figuring the public hunting thing out! I used a few tips that Randy always talks about and I think it payed off. First, I got off the main road and went through a gate that was shut. With my on x maps, I knew it was still public on the other side. Also, the area I was focusing in on backed up to a private ranch. I think these factors and a few others allowed me and my wife to have a very enjoyable hunt on a unit that only requires 1 point to draw. Thanks again everyone for your knowledge on this forum. I have learned a lot so far!!

Sounds like a great hunt, and wonderful time spent with the person you share your life with.

Congratulations to both of you, thanks for sharing the photos! I wish my wife would go hunting with me ...... I think. (Did I just type that last part out loud?)

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fossil Ridge
Back