Yeti GOBOX Collection

Matthews Monster?

huntin24/7

After waiting to see what new bows came out for 2012 i'm leaning towards the Matthews Monster 6 or 7 from 2010 and 2011. Does anyone have any personal experience or feedback about these bows. I practice a lot and regularly shoot 3D out to 80+ yds but will be using primarily for hunting. My primary concern is the 6" brace height of the MR6. I appreciate any info. anyone might have. Thanks.

The new PSE looks sweet and @ 366 ft/sec. ought to work for hunting! The Omen.

Last edited:
If you shoot regularly to 80 yards then you likely have very good, repeatable form and a 6" brace height won't matter.

I shot the Monster 7 once and never picked one up again. I'm not an expert at anything archery, but it wasn't that smooth, a little louder than others and for the price you can do better. I'm a bowtech guy though so my opinion is scewed.

I know a lot of people that shoot a Mathews but very few that prefer the Monster. I shoot the first generation Z7 and love it. You should try one if you haven't already. Good luck.

PSE Omen is pretty awesome and similar to the monster. I shot an Omen, Monster and the Alphamax side by side and loved the PSE. Wasnt crazy about the Monster and the Alphamax was just like any other hoyt. To each his own though

I don't like the newer Mathews bows at all. The Monsters have a bunch of issues. I would look at anything else. Check out the Limbsaver Proton, Quest Primal, even some of the Bear Achery bows are good. Don't just go with what's popular because of it being popular. Only you should make the decision on what to get. If you are set on a Mathews, go to their website and check out the forums and see what those guys are saying. But if you do, remember these guys are hardcore Mathews guys.

I don't like the newer Mathews bows at all. The Monsters have a bunch of issues. I would look at anything else. Check out the Limbsaver Proton, Quest Primal, even some of the Bear Achery bows are good. Don't just go with what's popular because of it being popular. Only you should make the decision on what to get. If you are set on a Mathews, go to their website and check out the forums and see what those guys are saying. But if you do, remember these guys are hardcore Mathews guys.
If you are going with a two cam bow I would go with a hoyt myself you would get a lighter more well balanced bow and it wont feel wore out after a year of shooting.

Monster= way to heavy for spot and stalk.IMHO..I took mine antelope hunting in New Mexico. After day 3 I was tired of lugging it around, so when I got home I sold it...Overall I did like the bow, it shot well and was very fast & flat, maybe better suited for treestand or blind hunting. I am currently looking at the z7 and other comparable bows, I am going after weight and simplicity this time...

i just got the brand new monster mr7 i shoot competion but i plan on hunting with this bow also i used to shot bowtech and will never go back my opinion it alot smoother and overall better shooting i was going to get the mr6 which shoots just as good but i want with the 7 for the hunting you will have no problem shooting out to 80 i was shooting at a 100 just having fun and this bow is quite but if your going to do more competion then hunting go with the 6 ive 50/50 with hunting and competion so i got the 7, but if you want forgiveness and smooth but i wouldnt recomed for comp you can get the mr8 which is 8 inches of brace heigh.t but the thing that you got to worry about with a 6 is if you decide to hunt with it you have thick hunting cloths on the the string is probaly goin to hit that y i got a 7 and i love it

Last edited:
i shoot the MR7 and i love it. i shoot really heavy arrows and shoots them at 265 f/s. love the kinetic energy. i think it shoots nice too, feels great in my hand. Shot a switchback before this.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back