Caribou Gear Tarp

Lightweight rain gear

brockel

What’s everyone running for lightweight rain gear to keep in your pack? Pit zips are a plus.

Sitka. It stays in my pack. Very lightweight.
Probably 12 years ago, one of my hunting partners was wearing new Sitka rain pants, went through an alder patch, came out the other side and the pants were torn in the seat. Thought when I upgraded that I would want something a bit more durable. There is lightweight, and than too lightweight. I personally have never been very impressed with Sitka, didn't seem real durable and was expensive. If I am going to carry something, I want it to function when I pull it out of my pack. Quality/durability of Sitka may have changed in the intervening years, but I will stick with Kuiu and pack a few more ounces.

How light? Most maker’s durability:weight middle ground is around 11-12oz. Not a lot of lighter stuff will have pit zips. Zippers are handy but heavy.

How light? Most maker’s durability:weight middle ground is around 11-12oz. Not a lot of lighter stuff will have pit zips. Zippers are handy but heavy.
As light as I can get without having to sell my first born. It’s for a British Columbia mountain goat hunt

Kuiu has several different versions. Kuiu Chugach is the most durable but not the lightest. I have Kuiu that they don't make anymore that is light and durable can't remember the name. The only downside is they don't have pant pockets. Other than that they are the best I have found.

I've been happy with OR gear. I think it's the foray line. Pretty reasonably priced durable and light. I've yet to put a hole in one in 9-10 years of wearing them on AK adventures. I've yet to see any brand continue to be breathable and waterproof for multiple years, either. The DWR finish breaks down over time and they fail, especially under a backpack where it rubs off. Nikwax DWR refresher doesn't work either. I've tried it many times over it's no the sam as factory. I spend a lot of time in RG, some trips I wear the pants for days at a time and they keep me as dry as I'd expect. If my goretex boots are wet so is my breathable rain gear. I've never seen any rain gear keep anyone totally dry after days of rain, hiking and no way to really dry out. Everyone wants to make their brand out to be a hero, but they're all the same, IMO. Embrace the suck it's uncomfortable at times, but it's not the end of the world to be a little damp. If the water isn't running out the inside of your sleeves it's not that wet. :D

Rainwear that stays in my pack...Eddie Bauer Cloudcap 2 jacket...has pit zips Large Tall weighs 14 oz and I think I paid about $90-100 on some steep sale. It's the tall size that i need, has kept me dry and worked well on several trips now. Kuiu Chugach pants, size L weighs 14.5 oz and the full-length leg zippers are NIIICE.

For AK this fall I've picked up a Helly Hansen Impertech jacket. Recommended by @Bambistew and my other AK friends. Not light (XL is 28oz) so maybe not great for mtn goat hunt, nor is it breathable, but it'll be as dry as possible I think.

Sitka Dewpoint. Second generation is better all around compared to the first generation of Dewpoint imo.

Kuiu Chugach here too, would buy again for sure. I’m not a huge Kuiu fan, it’s the only thing of their’s I own besides an old bino harness. It’s a nice rain set.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back