Caribou Gear

Let's talk about the Montana "Hunt Roster"...

jpcoll01

So I applied for pretty much everything and only pulled an archery Antelope tag in MT (which I am really excited about). I registered for the alternate lists and got crazy high numbers but also put in for the "Hunt Roster" in an area I am familiar with. I just looked and am number 3 for a deer tag and 4 for an elk. Is this a good thing? Will I potentially get a call that says you can hunt on x property on y date and take a cow, bull, whatever? Have any of you gotten to hunt using this before? I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but being such a low number feels like a good thing.

So I applied for pretty much everything and only pulled an archery Antelope tag in MT (which I am really excited about). I registered for the alternate lists and got crazy high numbers but also put in for the "Hunt Roster" in an area I am familiar with. I just looked and am number 3 for a deer tag and 4 for an elk. Is this a good thing? Will I potentially get a call that says you can hunt on x property on y date and take a cow, bull, whatever? Have any of you gotten to hunt using this before? I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but being such a low number feels like a good thing.
It will be a “can you be at this place at sunrise to whack a cow off a haystack” type of deal.

Some areas go through more damage hunts than others. Which area did you put in for?

Actually it said that for some hunts additional B tags may be issued as long as you haven’t already killed two. Otherwise why would a landowner need to suggest up to 25% of the participants. He/she could let anyone hunt with the tags they already have.

Before you get your hopes up I’d call FWP and ask if they’ve opened the hunt roster in 321 at all in the last decade or so. If so, how far down the public hunter list have they gotten? Did they issue additional B tags or did people have to use a general tag?

The units they open for roster hunts in the western half of the state seem pretty consistant year after year. I’ve no clue about that particular unit though.

Before you get your hopes up I’d call FWP and ask if they’ve opened the hunt roster in 321 at all in the last decade or so. If so, how far down the public hunter list have they gotten? Did they issue additional B tags or did people have to use a general tag?

The units they open for roster hunts in the western half of the state seem pretty consistant year after year. I’ve no clue about that particular unit though.
I didn’t know they published a list of what hd’s they used the hunt roster in ?

Did a roster hunt in 2015. Can’t remember my number below 25 but more than 10. I started watching what number they were on in the roster start to change after the general season closed. I got a call in Feb, “Be at x gate at 6am”. I had purchased a B tag for the unit already but they told me I could have used my general tag had I not already filled it.

Pretty much how @Schaaf describes it 400-600 elk sitting on a bait pile more or less.

Back