Laus Deo

Calif. Hunter

On the aluminum cap atop the Washington Monument are displayed two words – Laus Deo. They were placed there in 1888 when the monument was completed.

No one can see these words and most people are completely unaware that they are there and could care less. But these words have been there for many years, facing skyward to the Father of our nation, overlooking the 69 square miles comprising the District of Columbia, the capital of the United States of America.
Laus Deo – two seemingly insignificant words, out of sight and out of mind, but very meaningfully placed atop the highest point in the most powerful city in the most powerful nation in the world. So what do these two Latin words mean? Simply – “Praise be to God.”

The other three sides have the architects, builders, engineers and what not on them... quite impressive to see in person. The bottom third is made up of marble from here in MD, the top 2/3 is made of granite from ME...

Not to nock on you theogens, but one thing that stikes me odd about this is... An obelisk is the ultimate form of worship to the sun god Amon-Ra...of Egyption mythology

If I remember my bible school lessons correct, somewhere in exodus maybe... it speaks of not worshiping any other god but the LORD.

So we have the ULTIMATE device of worship to the sun god Ra and then we put praise be to god on it... That would be like putting a WWJD t-shirt on the devil!

Another thing that perplexes me... when we end a prayer we end it in amen... amon-Ra??? any corrilation there ya think? ;)

Bambistew, I don't know if you like to stir the pot or if it's just an accident.. :D ..

AMEN is a contraction of some ancient latin verse that is interpreted as meaning "So be it"... Has nothing to do with Amon-Ra...

:cool:

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back