Caribou Gear

last yote of the season....

Wyodeerhunter

Banned
Went on a hike today to check on some deer. I decided to throw the calls and gun on the pack just in case I found some good spots to call yotes.

After 2 hours of hiking I made to to where the deer winter. All was good in the canyon and the deer looked in great shape. In a few weeks they will move out and I'll swoop down in there and pick up their sheds.

On the way back to the truck I decided to call a canyon I've have good success in the past. I crept over the edge and setup in the bush right by the shooting sticks in the lower left corner of the pic:

p1020558.jpg

I started howling and was surprised how good they were sounding. I'm pretty rusty because I haven't made it out calling much this winter. After a couple series of howls some deer poked up their heads

p1020552.jpg

Having deer come in wasn't unusual so I didn't look back at them much. After a couple more howls I did notice they all were looking downhill. I knew something was coming in.

I decided to reposition because I couldn't see around the bush I was hiding in. As I look to my left I couldn't believe it. On the snowbank I was on was a coyote about 20 yards away. He looked huge as the hair was standing up on his back. I lifted up my .223 that was on 18x and took a shot. Right when I shot I knew a follow up shot was going to be necessary. Hit him a little low (leg). I stood up to shoot him again and notice two more coyotes just standing there. I took a shot at another but missed and they ran off. I then finished off the first one I shot. He sure looked big when I shot him but when I finally made it to him I realized I shot the smallest coyote in Wyoming. Heres a couple pics:

p1020554.jpg

p1020555.jpg

p1020562.jpg

p1020563.jpg

I like the color on that yote,hope it wasn't rubbed up to bad.

Nice! I need to get out and try to 'help' the deer herds!

That's a prime example why I don't like scopes that go up over about 10X...

1pointer,
I agree anything over 12x is too much IMHO. I regret putting it on there. There are times where its nice but most the time it sucks. I'm going to sell that gun because I don't have room for it and its a pain in my ass. It's too pretty to take calling.

I have a new savage .204 that is going to be my calling gun. It has just a 4x scope on it right now. You don't need much magnification if your calling.

No gun that I can afford is too pretty to take hunting! ;) May wanna keep that .223 for at least the spring so you'll have something to shoot when you invite me over to whack some prairie dogs... :D

That savage should be perfect for calling! I'd like to try one of those new fangled drop/windage compensating reticles on something like...

Here's my too slightly used dog shooter at-ter...
223Ackley.jpg

nice setup! what caliber is it??

I've wanted to try out one of those new scopes too. I don't know anyone that has one.

The other day it warmed up and I saw a huge prarie dog town off the interstate between bridger valley and Green River. I think with a good spring your going to have a lot of targets.

Ernesto

It's a .223 Ackley. I haven't gotten around to loading any of the fireformed brass, but I'm getting close. IIRC I've got about 1500 pcs of brass formed.

I bought the scope because it was such a good deal, but I do plan to get a LOT more comfortable with the turrets for longer range shooting this summer.

I need lots of targets, 'cause I'm a pretty piss poor shot! ;) The area I'll working in a lot this summer has some p'dogs, but the damn UT DWR has decided that they can't be shot from April to June 15! :rolleyes:

That's neat WYO, I haven't called or hunted 'yotes since '79, use to trap alot (but that was back when a good/prime 'yote brought $75, I heard now a 'yote brings $25, oh how times change :()!
Well, first part of June is prairie dog time, need to get some loads made up for my 25-06, and finish the stock on my Swift (aw-heck, forget the stock, I'll just buy WYO's 223 :D)

Back