Caribou Gear Tarp

Last Quail Hunt of the Season (Bobs)

ramlinwillie

My stepson Bill and I had our last Quail hunt of 2009, and like all of them this year we moved Quail, around 30 today with the three coveys. We hunted three hours, so I guess that’s not to bad, except for our shooting.
The ice has pushed the river out of its normal run and into our hunting areas enough that we couldn’t cross the thin ice, so our hunting area was pretty small.
The first covey Kramer busted, which he usually does until he settles down, we weren’t close enough to get off a shot, but had a fantastic point here by this log, scrunched down in as S shape, Bill had to step onto the log to get the flush, about ten to twelve came out and of course we both missed, so I guess I can’t blame my shooting on the 20 gauge, today I had my 12. This is the spot Kramer had pointed, back towards the log where they were hiding.
123009001.jpg

We took Bill’s mutt along, he enjoyed it:
123009004.jpg

The Icy River:
123009002.jpg

Chloe looking around while we took a break:
123009010.jpg

Bill walking the grass:
123009006.jpg

We had to double back to get to the pickup because of the water backing up into lower areas. I found a log across the water which was only about eight feet wide, will I’m have way when me foot slip, so I get to test the temperature of the water, not to bad. Bill decided not to try it, ( after he got of the ground from rolling around laughing), so he continued on to walk around, and Kramer was off ahead of him anyway. I had Chloe with me and we were leaving a clear area, she entered into some pretty good cover and went on point. Thinking it was a mouse point and it was a pretty good one, so I was reaching for the camera, and keeping my eye on her. She slowly started turning her head towards me, still on her point and never looking up at me. Well I figured there was something small with wings walking around, so I took a step into the spot and up busted seven or eight, I took one with the first shot and I was watching it fall, marking it and trying to shoot another one to the left just a little, well we had one to find and after a few minutes Chloe found in the heavy weeded area, Boy I didn’t want to miss this, after all the hunting I’ve done we her this year, it was her first point and I wanted her to see the results.
Chloe and Me with our Quail:
123009017.jpg

Next week it’s all pheasant, hopefully we’ll have half the luck we had this year Quail hunting and it’ll be a great time.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back