Yeti GOBOX Collection

Knowing your area pays off.

twodot

Yesterday, on the way to town we spotted a lone bull bedded in a nasty spot surrounded by extremely steep coulee's, yet visible from the two track that passes for a county road in that spot. We stopped and took a couple pictures and finally he got up and slowly eased around the hill he was on. You could just tell that he was looking for another place to lay down where he wouldn't be bothered. Got to town and ran into a friend. Told him about seeing the bull and mentioned how bad it is to be tag-less in the breaks. He knows my route to town and starts questioning just where the bull was. Turns out that I described a certain gumbo bluff, at a such and such ridge, and how as you drive by a certain rock and look south, you will see right where he was. Friend responds with, "I know right where your talking about." (The spot is 40 miles from town) Then he tells me he is off work, and thinks he will just go hunt that bull, and when I go home would I go by that way in case he needed help getting the critter out of there. We spoke briefly about how the best approach to the spot would be and the wind then I was down the road to Roundup for some truck parts. Late that afternoon, I roll back thru Winnett to check the mail and his wife comes roaring up Main st and says, "-- just got that bull and was wondering if you had come thru yet?" He had found a spot with cell coverage, (which I have never been able to to out there) and called for volunteer packers. We found him walking to his truck as we got there. We left the boys to help him gut, and dress the bull then went on to the house to get packs lites etc and head back. Of course the bull was several nearly vertical ridges from the road so we old folks opted to go down hill and around adding a couple of full miles to our pack, while the boys and one of their young friends went straight up the hills thru a mess of cedar hillsides. They did beat us to the truck, but they earned it. We finally got out with all meat and head at 11:30. Lotsa fun for the nite. I thought it was quite amazing that someone could take a tip like that and make good with it. Very cool. The bull was pretty busted up and would have been a 6x7 earlier in the season. Pics are, the before's and the after, and the pack team riding home in the back of the truck.

Attachments

• IMG_0819.jpg
    IMG_0819.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 427
  • IMG_0823.jpg
    IMG_0823.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 428
  • IMG_0837.jpg
    IMG_0837.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 426
  • IMG_0842.jpg
    IMG_0842.jpg