Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Knee Pads

maxx

My knees are pretty good for running and jumping but I have a terrible time kneeling down. I have dealt with tendinitis my entire adult life but I have learned to manage everything but kneeling.

I am going to do a spot and stalk hunt for speed goat. Does anyone use a type of knee pad or do you like pants with them integrated.

Any suggestions either way?

I use the basketball style knee pads when hunting pronghorns for no other reasons than to not have to spend my evenings pulling prickly pear cactus thorns out of them with a pair of tweezers. Wear 'em over my pants. Looks dorky but so what. Hands and knees crawling is pretty inevitable when hunting pronghorn. I also pop Ibuprofen to help keep the swelling down in my knees. Good luck.

I use the basketball style knee pads when hunting pronghorns for no other reasons than to not have to spend my evenings pulling prickly pear cactus thorns out of them with a pair of tweezers. Wear 'em over my pants. Looks dorky but so what. Hands and knees crawling is pretty inevitable when hunting pronghorn. I also pop Ibuprofen to help keep the swelling down in my knees. Good luck.

This is what I used. I wore them under my pants though so I didn't look like a dork. I ended up using them at home later when I was redoing my deck.

What are baseball style knee pads? Can somebody provide an image or link? I don't watch ports.

Thanks.

Thanks. I didn't think that those would stop cactus needles from penetrating. I thought for sure I would need something with a plastic shell.

Probably depends on the cactus where you plan to hunt. I've never tried the plastic ones. They might be better.

Knee pads, leather gloves and tough boots are must haves for me on an antelope hunt! Prickly pear spines are no fun and will continue to popup as infection for years after a bad experience IME. Those spines can even find their way through soles of "tennis" type shoes. We do lots of crawling on stalks and these things have kept me mostly protected after learning the hard way.

I have some at home I really like and came with a couple of different face covers. I will check them out tonight and post what they are.

Part Deux,

Well I hate to tease you know but I tried to look up the company "trophylineusa" and it appears they are out of business which sucks because these have been great. I guess they made a line of tree stands called "tree saddle"

anyway, here they are they came with a flexible rubber face pad strips and a hard plastic.

knee pads.JPG

Reminds me of the adage: If you find gear you really like, stock up because the company will go out of business before it wears out.

Knee pads, leather gloves and tough boots are must haves for me on an antelope hunt! Prickly pear spines are no fun and will continue to popup as infection for years after a bad experience IME. Those spines can even find their way through soles of "tennis" type shoes. We do lots of crawling on stalks and these things have kept me mostly protected after learning the hard way.

Absolutely. I was headed to my Utah lope hunt and realized I did not have my kneepads pads. Stopped at Ace Hardware and picked up a set with hard plastic at the knee cap. Worked great.

Usually wear truspec pants when I hunt, they have slot for knee pad insert just cut up some 1/4 foam I got laying around and insert them. Not true protection but helps a lot. Normal pads bug me, always uncomfortable or sliding down.

C

PM me your address. I'll send ya the ones I used last year, that were passed to me by my late uncle. No sense in letting good equipment sit & grow older. Just 'cuz I'm not 'Lopin this year doesn't mean they shouldn't get into the field.

Lowe's, Depot or Harbor Freight all have cheap models that seemed to work fine for me then I never feel too bad when they go missing. They're definitely nice to have for those cactus.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back