Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

King Eider

glass eye

DIY trip started off with an aborted landing on St. Paul Island in the Pribilofs. On the way back to Anchorage they stopped in Dillingham to arrest a passenger for drinking his own beer on the plane. That delay took a couple of hours. Had to wait 2 days until the next flight out of Anchorage and upon refueling in Dillingham they discovered a hydraulic leak. Had to wait several hours for another plane to be re-routed to pick us up and take us back to Anchorage again. Flew out again the next day on the same plane with the hydraulic leak. In all we lost 3 full days in Anchorage while the weather was beautiful. Finally arrived on St. Paul in time for a storm to hit us.

Very cool stuff!! Did you have decoys or pass shoot? Any dog for retrieving birds or did they just come in with the tide?

That's a rough start to the trip. Awesome hunt nonetheless, that is definitely on my wish list. I love that A5 lots of character and a lifetime of memories with that gun!

Man what a rough start to your trip! Looks like you got a few birds though and I'm sure it was a fun trip.

How do you board a plane with Beer when no liquids are allowed on the plane?
Heck you can't even get on a plane with water in your bag...let alone a mini bottle
of whisky.;)🔥

What are you digging up and what are the glassy looking beads at around the 1:50 mark?
Those are antique Japanese glass fishing net floats and I'm digging them up with a walrus shoulder blade. It was strange that they were all buried in one spot, 30 in all. We figured that a fox must have been collecting them and buried them there. Later in a different location Andrew found one alone with the netting among other debris and bones washed up.

How do you board a plane with Beer when no liquids are allowed on the plane?
Heck you can't even get on a plane with water in your bag...let alone a mini bottle
of whisky.;)🔥
Once in Anchorage the small puddle jumper planes that service small communities don't have TSA screening when you board. The guy arrested drank a six pack on the plane. The six pack on board wasn't a crime, his crime was drinking HIS BEER on the plane and not buying their beer on board.

Very cool stuff!! Did you have decoys or pass shoot? Any dog for retrieving birds or did they just come in with the tide?
With the stormy waves we couldn't go out in the kayak, that window was open while we were stuck in Anchorage like Groundhog Day. Once we got to St. Paul the storm arrived and the window closed. We shot the oldsquaws from the kayak on a protected lagoon but the king eiders was pass shooting and the wind and waves toss them to shore. No dogs are allowed on the island by anyone. It's to protect the Northern Fur Seals.

Once in Anchorage the small puddle jumper planes that service small communities don't have TSA screening when you board. The guy arrested drank a six pack on the plane. The six pack on board wasn't a crime, his crime was drinking HIS BEER on the plane and not buying their beer on board.
Dang i Man! Do they hang you for carry on Whiskey?Ha!,Ha! 🎄 🔥

What an adventure!

I love your velveteen shotgun.......so well used and loved.

The whale bone bench is a fantastic example of using what you have available to suit your needs.

Back