Kids

Lots of good input here. Wife and I have 6 kids. Oldest is 13 youngest is 7 weeks. All in all I have done more hunting in last 3 years than the last 10 combined. 4 oldest are all into it now.

I would go so far as to say I’m spoiled. We do a western big game diy every year, I always take 1 kid with on rotation. 4 oldest get youth deer and turkey tags here in Iowa. In pairs they come with me and friends chasing the bird dogs for pheasants. We night hunt coyotes year around and do a trip to shoot prairie dogs each summer. They are starting to like fishing and we try to get out 2x a week after week as well as a 3-4day family ice fishing trip. Going to Lake Michigan this summer for some charter fishing where all kids will be along. And hoping the 2 oldest daughters will draw antelope tags this year fro shoot their first non Iowa big game.

I wouldn’t trade it for the world, and as others have said if all I did was follow them around rest of my life it would be a blast.

We have 1; my hobbies have dwindled - but the overall amount of time that I hunt is likely higher (because I’ve prioritized hunting)

Lol, no. This would be a really bad way of broadcasting it.

The TLDR is that my wife and I are very undecided on having kids 5 years into our marriage, and 14 years of being together. We both have agreed that we really enjoy our freedom but we still kind of want one.

There’s way more to this obviously but that’s a lot to type..
I tell people, when you decide to have kids, write off a decade of your life. You won't sleep, won't ever enjoy a clean house, or unfilled laundry basket. Everything you know about life will change and you'll never get it back. You will be so much more stressed about parts of life you don't even have to think about now. Kiss goodbye to any semblance of monetary freedom, you will be poor, very poor, for a long time. Every time you get a bonus or a raise it will disappear before you can even think about what you want to do with it. It will test your marriage in ways you didn't think were possible. It will take years off your life. Hair will fall out, what remains will turn grey. Grocery shopping will become your "escape". I could go on... and on... and on.

I stand by all of that, but I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Last edited:
I tell people, when you decide to have kids, write off a decade of your life. You won't sleep, won't ever enjoy a clean house, or unfilled laundry basket. Everything you know about life will change and you'll never get it back. You will be so much more stressed about parts of life you don't even have to think about now. Kiss goodbye to any semblance of monetary freedom, you will be poor, very poor, for a long time. Every time you get a bonus or a raise it will disappear before you can even think about what you want to do with it. It will test your marriage in ways you didn't think were possible. It will take years off your life. Hair will fall out, what remains will turn grey. Grocery shopping will become your "escape". I could go on... and on... and on.

I stand by all of that, but I wouldn't trade it for the world.
Pretty fair description IMHO.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back