Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Keep quiet and look straight ahead

devon deer

From the days when hunting with hounds was legal in the UK.
It raised a chuckle with me anyway.
intheshit.jpg

Cheers
Richard

Richard, it's hard to fathom that a country so steeped in tradition as England could allow the liberal whiners to reach that far. My uncle rode to the hounds in Georgia for many years before passing, and his daughter still does, so maybe it will be with us for a while yet. RT

Yes i know, but there are moves to repeal the act, but i'm not holding my breath.
By the way, yes its illegal, but they have found ways around it!;)
Cheers
Richard

haha i like it.

Too bad you guys can't do that anymore though. Good lesson for us over here in America.

It is a shame about that. Another thing that gets me is the banning of bowhunting, with the cultural significance of bows and archery hunting. I believe at one point in history every able bodieid man was required to keep a bow and know how to use it? Do you know if this is true Richard?

It is a shame about that. Another thing that gets me is the banning of bowhunting, with the cultural significance of bows and archery hunting. I believe at one point in history every able bodieid man was required to keep a bow and know how to use it? Do you know if this is true Richard?

I believe training with the longbow was compulsory from a very early age, thats why the English were feared in battle. But then the gun came along!
It sucks we cant use a bow over here, i would love to give it a go.
Perhaps we would be feared again?:D
Cheers
Richard

Is it true that if an English archer was captured by the French, they would cut off his middle digit on his drawing hand and he could no longer shoot the longbow or "pluck yew". As a result, while in that part of a skirmish where archers were employed, the English archers would taunt the French by holding up their middle digit to show them that they had theirs and then shout "Pluck Yew, Pluck Yew" and that taunt evolved to the more modern "F--k you"? Someone told me this!!!!! Maybe it was both plucking fingers, thus the better known English gesture of the two fingered salute.

Is it true that if an English archer was captured by the French, they would cut off his middle digit on his drawing hand and he could no longer shoot the longbow or "pluck yew". As a result, while in that part of a skirmish where archers were employed, the English archers would taunt the French by holding up their middle digit to show them that they had theirs and then shout "Pluck Yew, Pluck Yew" and that taunt evolved to the more modern "F--k you"? Someone told me this!!!!! Maybe it was both plucking fingers, thus the better known English gesture of the two fingered salute.
So they say, battle of agincourt, the two fingered salute to the frogs!
Cheers
Richard

Damn, my post disappeared! So here it goes again.

Down here in the lowcountry of SC, we are fighting to retain our dog hunting for deer tradition. With the influx of hunters from Florida, Georgia, and North Carolina in league with the upstate hunters who aren't allowed to use dogs for deer, there is a movement under way to eliminate all dog hunting in the entire state. The out of state hunters already own or lease huge tracts of land that we no longer have access to due to the obscene amounts they are willing to pay. All the while, they are squeezing resident hunters out of the market for the opportunity to lease or buy property. Then on top of that they want to change our traditions.

Back