Is this silly?

I've been looking for 165 grain copper ammo for my .300 WSM for almost 2 years now. My rifle likes the 165 grain bullets for some unknown reason over the 180 grain that I would prefer. Local stores don't have any .300 WSM ammo on the shelf. Finally starting to see some availability online but not the 165 grain copper (either Barnes, Nosler or Federal).

That's the only reason I'm even considering it. I need to mess around with setting up for reloading like I need another hole in my head. The time and space to put everything just isn't there.
You could mount everything you need for that on a 2x8 and clamp it to any good sturdy surface. That’s how I started when I moved up from a Lee Loader to a Co-Ax press. You really don’t need that much to load good rifle ammo, but it won’t be a speedy process.

When people ask me about reloading I have them buy a copy of the ABCs of reloading(I think the latest edition is by Phil Massaro). If people get through that whole book and it still is something they are interested, I dove in to help them get started.

I would second this with the addition of the nosler book.

And before you buy the tools, collect or check on the components.

Primers are somewhat of a challenge as is powder sometimes. You said you had bullets and brass which is good.

The nosler book has a most accurate powder recommendation which can help reduce the decision stress.

It can also help with the anxiety by breaking down the steps.
1.Case prep- sizing, trimming, deburring, chamfer

2. Priming
3. Powder and seating

Focus on each step at a time without being distracted by what ifs of other steps.

I started years ago with just collecting brass and started loading shotgun.

I'd say picking the right cartridges (I.E. not rare or magnums) and having a decent rifle makes reloading hard to justify beyond just enjoying getting in the weeds and experimenting for most hunters IMO both from a cost and performance standpoint. It is not difficult or complicated though.

I got into it because I bought into the 6.5 SAUM hype train when GAP started pushing them and it was basically a handload only cartridge. I followed with a bunch of other less common cartridges but I'm moving towards shooting a lot more with factory 223 or 6 and 6.5 creedmoor and spending less time at the load bench. I have found reasonably priced factory ammo for them that will shoot just as tight as most people's handloads and way better than needed by most hunters.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskyRichard
Back