Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Insulating layer

I am looking to add a light weight insulating layer to my hunting clothing. I have looked at the sitka kelvin and the North face Thermoball. Does anyone have any experience with either or can recommend another jacket?

Andy

I have the Kelvin. No complaints here.

I think you could probably look at just about any synthetic insulating layer from the mountaineering companies and possibly save some $$$ and get a similar product.

There's a bunch of websites that stock closeouts from Patagucci, Mountain Hardwear, etc.

I tried some of badlands apparel this year. Their spectra top was real nice, all of it was. I also used a merino wool base layer that was cabelas brand this year, it was nice as well but expensive.

The Kelvin is a little bulky & heavy (at least to my liking) for a lightweight insulating layer. I use the kelvin more so as an outer-layer in really cold temps. I use a Patagonia nano-puff for lightweight/thin insulation and I love it. I don't have the kelvin light, but I think it would be similar to the nano-puff.

I'm starting to invest (slowly) in good cold weather gear this year. I got a set of top and bottom expedition weight base layers from Minus 33 Degrees. I wanted First Lite stuff but they are all sold out everywhere I looked and no idea when shipments will be. "Sometime next year" I was told. So I bought the Minus 33 stuff and I love it. Merino wool is the bomb.

I also bought a First Lite Uncompagre jacket. It's their puffy jacket but it's incredibly warm (especially if you're moving at all). Waterproof and compresses down to the size of an itzy bitzy throw pillow. There's NO reason not to take it with and throw it in a pack regardless what else I'm wearing.

I'm going on my muzzleloader weekend this coming weekend and there will be lots of sitting. The base layers will be on. My Uncompagre will also be on as my insulating layer under my Cabelas Wooltimate Windshear jacket. Together, they are warmer and dryer and lighter and more compact than my one POS crap Gander Mountain Guide Series heavy-ass jacket I bought years ago.

Emrah

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back