in need of some stats: What percentage of hunters use public land?

dannyb278

I'm putting a article together for Sportsmen's Nation that is a bit of a bait-switch, metaphorical bag dump.

The title is going to be something like "The Only 3 Things a Hunter Needs" as it seems click-baity enough. That's part of the joke, probably making people assume it will be another article on broadheads, camo and trail cameras. That's not it though. The only 3 things we really need to pull from our "bag" is:

1. A animal to hunt
2. A tool to hunt with
3. A landscape to hunt on.

The goal is to do a brief "state of the union" on these points, where we were and where we are now. For the last one, I want to talk about how lack of access, both on private and public land is the #1 driver in lowering hunting numbers, as stats from NSF indicate.

Can anyone point me at some stats that provide percentages of hunters that utilize public land?

Thanks.

It was in one of the NSSF surveys, I believe in 2010, where just over 70% of western big game hunters surveyed hunted primarily on public land. I have it somewhere in my old files, as I used the citation to try, with marginal success, to convince ad agencies that public land hunting has some relevance to their clients.

It was in one of the NSSF surveys, I believe in 2010, where just over 70% of western big game hunters surveyed hunted primarily on public land. I have it somewhere in my old files, as I used the citation to try, with marginal success, to convince ad agencies that public land hunting has some relevance to their clients.

Thanks Big Fin! that information alone should help me track it down online. Thanks again.

I believe BHA just completed a survey that that included those questions. I would check with them or with the TRCP.

Great, thanks for the info. I had thought of BHA, but for some reason TRCP escaped me.

Back