PEAX Equipment

Idaho, Unit 50 deer populations?

T Bone

I havn't hunted unit 50 for many years for deer....anyone know the general condition of the deer herd there?

T-bone, Got your call, I was out "marketing" today at a Skeet and Trap shoot off of Kuna-mora road. Happened to be out with Ol' Warren as well. I'll call you tomorrow on that 605# assumingthats yer work # ?

I grew up west of Blackfoot and have hunted unit 50 all my life. I say every year that i'm not going back but somehow I end up out there at least once or twice during the season. We've seen quite a few deer in the past several years but no big ones to speak of. We've quit taking our horses out there because there is a 4-wheeler road on almost every ridge now. That being said I love that country and there are still big deer in that unit. I saw one this summer that I hope I see again next month. Since I know you live out of state now i'll post a picture to remind you what it looks like! Just like anywhere else, if you get away from the roads the deer are there.

Attachments

• Suzy's birth 005.jpg
    Suzy's birth 005.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 1,990
Thanks Doug. I havn't hunted there for deer in 17 years......yikes! It seemed in the 80's as a kid, there was a deer or elk behind every tree.

Your news about the ATV's is disappointing. With the ATV restrictions in the past 5 years, I hoped it would give the animals a break. I'll be hunting Antelope Creek with my Pops. Hopefully we'll get some early snows!

Vehicle restrictions didn't seem to mean much in the unit I hunted last week. I saw at least a dozen forest service posts in the middle of the trails telling people about the restrictions and all but 2 had been flattened and broke off by 4 wheelers driving over them. Frustrating!

I grew up west of Blackfoot and have hunted unit 50 all my life. I say every year that i'm not going back but somehow I end up out there at least once or twice during the season. We've seen quite a few deer in the past several years but no big ones to speak of. We've quit taking our horses out there because there is a 4-wheeler road on almost every ridge now. That being said I love that country and there are still big deer in that unit. I saw one this summer that I hope I see again next month. Since I know you live out of state now i'll post a picture to remind you what it looks like! Just like anywhere else, if you get away from the roads the deer are there.

Did/have you hunted 51? Dad was raised over there and I still have cousins in the valley who have been hounding us to go over to shoot some elk. Now that brother and I don't have to worry about mom and dad any longer we just may end up doing just that next year.

Yeah i've spent a lot of time in 51 also. The elk herds in both of those units are struggling right now. I still see a few decent ones out there though. Awesome country to look at, awful steep.

Yeah i've spent a lot of time in 51 also. The elk herds in both of those units are struggling right now. I still see a few decent ones out there though. Awesome country to look at, awful steep.

My understanding from a guy here at work that there has been some major ATV restrictions in 51 beginning a couple of years ago. Cousins are telling me that they have seen more young bulls this year than they have seen in quit some time. They have been riding for cattle and bucks to be had if you have horses or want to take a frying pan into the back country. West side of the valley has too much private ground you can't get across any more into most of the lower canyons that we grew up hunting in.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back