Caribou Gear

Idaho caribou threatened by snowmobiles!!

Ithaca 37

Did you know about this??

"While logging is the historic culprit, caribou are now threatened by a modern form of recreation — snowmobiling. Snowmobiling has increased dramatically in recent years, and so has the machines´ ability to access once hard-to-reach and remote ridge lines and crests in the Selkirk Mountains. Many studies have documented the negative impacts motorized recreation has on wildlife, especially ungulates. In a recent study in British Columbia, Trevor McKinley (2002) found that six of eight caribou herds, including the transboundary Southern Selkirk herd, showed a decrease of use in a heavily used snowmobile area from 1997 to 2002, while the other two herds that had the least overlap with play areas, showed an increase of use.

In the amended biological opinion by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service addressing the effects on caribou from the continued implementation of the Forest Plan, it is stated that “snowmobiling represents the highest potential threat because of the........."

http://www.idahostatesman.com/Opinion/story.asp?ID=65063

Good article. But I'm not sure motorised vehicles are the only culpirt. Weather patterns and urban sprall could also be even contributers. The two things bou like most is solitude and COLD! They have a very keen sense of smell and are quite shy. Up in Northern Quebec, the best way to get to the heards up close, (and by up close I mean 200 to 300 yrds down wind) is by snowmoblie, especially in winter.

Thanks Ithica..
I read thru all of the articles on the search...
It looks like the biggest culprit of the decline right now is the larger number of wolves that have been brought into their midst. The other studies stated the logging and road building was the worst part, but they are from 2001 and the newest one said when predators were being controled that the numbers started to stabalize...
It would sure be cool to be able to hunt them down here with out haveing to go so far north. I wonder if the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation would be interested in spreading the species. They did a very good job on elk around the U.S.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back