Idaho 52A

Devilscrown

I am reaching out for help understanding this unit. I have spent four years scouting and trying to learn this unit and I am still unsure of the water situation on the off grazing years. Every waterhole that I have searched (I have literally searched hundreds) are dry, but I still see elk. Are there some underground springs that I am missing or are there some gravity fed holes that are always full? Where do the elk water at on the dry years? I am fearful that I will end up on my deathbed someday still wondering... please help.

I hunted that unit 2 years for deer. Its definitely a dry unit, but there is water surrounding it. North end by Carey, south end by the farms, and both years had a big water hole off of Kamimah rd. The elk might water there at night, but its right on the road. If you get out into the rocks you can find little pools of water as well but its hard hiking and will tear up boots/ankles quick.

In southern Idaho I have seen elk travelling 10+ miles between water and bedding every day.
Also lots of creeks in 52a spring up for a few yards then dry up.

In southern Idaho I have seen elk travelling 10+ miles between water and bedding every day.
Also lots of creeks in 52a spring up for a few yards then dry up.
+1
prod.jpg

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back