Caribou Gear Tarp

idaho 2nd choice picks?

dan.kirkpatrick

gotta put in for idaho hunts soon,got 1st choices figured out but would like input on my 2nd choice picks? havnt hunted in any of these units yet so any info would be helpful as none of these are "prime"units but draw odds are fair? for deer has anybody hunted the idaho unit 43 muzz hunt?for elk ive narrowed to 3:::unit 61 muzz in november or unit 62-1 muzz that includes unit 65 also? or unit 64 muzz that includes unit 67 also,,,these 2 are in early october? any input on any of these areas would be great,,,thanks hunt talkers.

Just a FYI you can only draw a 2nd chance if the unit you put down has %100 draw odds in the 1st choice such as 43 muzzy. I hope that makes sence.? Idaho only looks at 2nd choice hunts after ALL 1st choice apps have been completed and units that did not draw out still have tags such as an unlimited tag. or 43 muzzy always has tags that go on sale to the public even after the 2nd draw. Hope that helps

yes,i know these are not great units but as 2nd choices they are posible to draw as 2nds,I havnt been very lucky yet on pulling very many tags this year,idaho is my last shot.just dont know much about any of these units,,,are they worth paying the non-res price?

I have hunted the unit 61 elk muzzle loader hunt. There is a general hunt in the area -also muzzle loader only-that is spike and cows only at the same time. I hunted there 2 years ago and set my sights pretty high. I hunted alone for 6 or 7 days and I think I saw 200/300 elk. I could easily have harvested any number of spike and broken bulls but held out for Mr. big and eventually got zilch. if you draw, contact me and I can tell you where I saw elk.

Just a FYI you can only draw a 2nd chance if the unit you put down has %100 draw odds in the 1st choice such as 43 muzzy. I hope that makes sence.? Idaho only looks at 2nd choice hunts after ALL 1st choice apps have been completed and units that did not draw out still have tags such as an unlimited tag. or 43 muzzy always has tags that go on sale to the public even after the 2nd draw. Hope that helps

Are you positive of this? My Dad drew a second choice hunt several years ago. Both hunts he applied for were over subscribed.

Yes brymoore I would guess that the casher who typed in the hunts flip flopped the units you asked for 1 choice and 2nd choice therefore you drew your 2nd choice but in reality it was your frist choice. Human error is my guess.

Dan Im not saying these are poor units. a couple have the ablity to produce hammer bucks and bulls just wanted to make sure you know that they need to be under subscribed Before you can draw them as a 2nd.

2nd choice is there for the f&g to make money.... you won't draw on 2nd choice so save the money

yeah, everyones first choice is looked at before anyones second. and the good ones are filled. I dont even put in for second choices except some unlimited units ie. archery antelope.

2nd choice in Idaho doesn't mean anything I'm pretty sure, unless it's an unlimited draw or under subscribed unit, correct?

PS, I wouldn't ever trust a cashier from Wal-Mart or even Sportsman's to do my apps, it's easy enough online and then you know it's done right.

Same here, 2nd choice is a moot point, go for 1st & hope for the best!

ElkNut1

Ive drawn 2nd and even 3rd choices in some states,,,i know these are not pefect odds or great units as 2nds in idaho but pulling a 2nd choice is a posibility that if drawn in idaho and i dont purchase the tag ,it would just go to there 2nd drawing later...its suprizing how many folks give up on there 2nd choices when if you work the stats you could actually draw.If anybody has any info on the idaho 62,65 or 64,67 units by the wyom border for elk in oct muzz season any info will help.unit 61 in november and unit43 muzz deer are all under subscribed so i have a chance as well as the unlimited units as well.

I put in for an unlimited for my 2nd every year. It doesn't cost any more so why not?

exactly,,,with idaho if a person does draw something as a 2nd choice they dont have to buy it,,,but it gives ya options if your unlucky on any other draws better,,,thats my plan.gotta still be better than most general o t c tags.

looks like i pulled my 2nd choice idaho elk tag,,,,researching your posibilitys does work folks,,,it does take some time and guesswork but always look at all your posibilitys.

You are welcome all. Have never put in for 2nd due to family stuff and grandkids. Amybody who pulled anything in 32A, get in touch with me for info or out of state guys to borrow chit. Not a premium unit, but we have seen THEM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back