I HATE shed hunting

The Hedgehog

Drove over to you know where, a place with lots of elk, but piles of roadhornhunters. And believe it or not, there was big ass bull (350 range) with both horns on, standing 1/4 mile off the road at the edge of some trees. He went into the trees and a few minutes later a bull appeared on the other end of the trees... no antlers on. I stayed till dark thinking I would have an easy set of antlers the following day. Plan A was to hike into a good place, as I figured I could return and snag this bull's antlers in the afternoon. Stayed out too late that night and drank a bunch of beer/whiskey. Woke up and decided I wasn't in any shape to hike up a mountain, so I slept more. At daylight, I was where I spotted the bull the night before.

I hiked over above the trees and spotted an elk... it was him!! He was a big narrow 6X7 with the 7th on his left side pointing inward. He had his left antler still attached but had dropped his right side during the night. The bull without antlers I'd seen the night before was obviously a different elk. Blood was running from this one's head. I watched him close up for about an hour. He ended up catching my wind and moving down the ridge. I figured I'd easily find his dropped horn nearby. Over two hours later I gave up. I followed his tracks in the dirt for more than 1/2 mile and didn't come across his left. I figured for sure one this side would drip that big thing off real quick. So after 5 hours of looking, no bone. Hung over and tired, I decided to head back into town.

On the way down the road, a Subaru outback passed me going the opposite direction. In my rearview mirror, I noticed them hit the brakes, put it in reverse, backed up about 20 yards and stopped. The passenger (guy sitting on my side as I drove by) jumped out, ran into the ditch, and snagged a nice 6 point horn out of the sage brush.

At this point, I decided it was time to quit shed hunting for 2006.

LOL greenhorn. My season has went quite the same way. I went out on april 2nd and found a nice fresh 6 pt antler. While i was looking for the match i came across a guy who found the match the day before. I knew then what the right thing was to do. So i gave him my first fresh 6 pt of the year. Thats how it goes sometimes.

I haven't gotten out at all this spring, but found this one at work the other day. Pay no mind to the extra 25# around the middle (Oscar).:(

ElkShed_original.jpg

I'll never follow a 1 antlerd bull again. I watched a 360+ bull carry one side for 13 days this year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know where a few good are, but I'm waiting for the snow to melt and the elk to head out before I go in. . . dont want to push them around, they have had a rough winter. . .

As of late I am hating it as well. On my last trip a friend found 2 MATCHED sets of 350 bull sheds..........................both sets laying together...............2 hours apart. It is a good thing he a a cool guy. If he was an :BLEEP: , I would have lost it. I received a speeding ticket and a hole burned in my wall tent for my efforts!!!!!!!! |oo

That is the most annoying thing about shed hunting, it is 99.99% luck.

At least I was smart enought to hold a set in the picture, make it look good anyway.

I went out the other day and covered many miles with my son and we found....one little forky. It was a great time with my 7 year old.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back