Hunting somewhere for the nostalgia?

2rocky

Since 2005 I have made a concerted effort to apply for tags in units with good success rates and public land. It has been pretty good to me, (Except in 2009 where I was skunked on 3 archery tags in 3 states). Other than that I've been able to make good on my elk tags in Wyoming, a few deer and antelope tags as well. Respectable animals but nothing record book.

I'm consumed with the desire to return to hunt Elk in a unit I've never hunted before in North Idaho. I worked the summer of 1993 as a packer for an outfitter specializing in flyfishing and it was my first exposure to an Idaho roadless area.

Since 1993, the outfitter sold the hunting end of the business, and the new owner went belly up. They continue to operate the fishing.

Looking at the unit stats success rates run 7-9% for Archery and between 200-250 hunters in the unit. But roughly half of the bulls killed are 6 point or better....

I'm wondering if doing a 2 week hunt in this Area would be worthwhile when I could probably find a "Better" unit if I didn't have a sentimental attachment to that piece of dirt.

I would! IMO, that just sweetens the trip a bit, regardless if you come back with a critter or not. There's a spot in NE Utah that is that way for me. I spent ALOT of time in that area for work. There are better areas for both of the critters I want to hunt there, but that's where I'll be spending my points.

I do the same thing. Seem like there is always a learning curve so hunting places you are familiar with can have advantages over hopping form unit to unit.

Personal satisfaction is pretty hard to compute.

Why in the world do you put forth the effort to run a marathon when it would be so much easier to ride a bike or drive a car over the same distance? The end result may be the same but the journey is what most people remember when it is all said and done.

A successful hunt is generally everyone's end goal, but the memories are what makes the hunt successful, whether you bring meat home or not.

Go for it, the sentimental attachment makes it that much better.

If it is an area north of I-90....in the "jungle" it's no secret why those bulls can get to be 6 points. It's tough hunting, but a tough, sentimental hunt is near impossible to beat.

It sounds to me like you are hunting for all of the right reasons, I would be going for it. Who knows, maybe you will be one of the lucky few dragging a big bull out of there too.

After thinking about it, my other option is to book a summer trip with the family and see the country again 20 years later with the eyes and experience of a 40 year old.

I see how the girls I dated back then look now and I wonder if the Country got bigger as well!

I see how the girls I dated back then look now and I wonder if the Country got bigger as well!

Yeah, it's easy to see why hind sight is 20/20 when everything is bigger :D

I would go for it myself. I like to hunt/fish places I have a sentimental approach too, even though success my be lacking. I've got a place that I fish that I only ever caught one musky out of, but it was a toad and I can't help but return to that creek.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back