Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Hunting on Skis in back country

StHubert

Just curious if anyone has used telemark skis for hunting in the back country and how well do they work. Any tips on gear would be great. Also, is it challenging going up hill?

I haven't used them for hunting, as I haven't hunted in those kind of snow depths. But to give you an idea as far as ease going uphill... My brother and I climbed about 400' vertical to snowboard/ski down a slope in CO last winter. I was on snowshoes packing the board and he used bc skis+skins. He easily skinned up the ridge while I struggled in the deep snow and had to stop to rest and strip layers. So in deep snow, ski+skin is way easier going up. I will never pack a snowboard up a mountain again (at least when I have to break trail).

It's a much more efficient mode of travel if the snow is decent and you're not trying to climb very steep stuff. Early season snow and sagebrush typically equate to rough skiing conditions. Even if the sage is covered, it's usually not enough to support you and you spend most of the day trying to get untangled after busting through. I think it's a good idea if you want to tow a sled a few miles to set up camp, but I'd rather use snowshoes while hunting.

I have thought about doing this many times. Like mdunc8 listed - snow level is key here. For me it's really got to be 3 feet or more to start getting improved travel from ski's over snow-shoes (overall travel time, not just up/down). Some immediate things I would need to resolve:

1) Squeeky bindings / gear. There's always one that makes some noise.
2) Skiing tough terrain with a loaded weapon. Not sure that this is the best idea. It really depends on terrain and your skiing ability here. Obviously, not having a chambered round is key. But if you take a serious fall you could still damage your rifle (or yourself).
3) Pack-out. I've never skied with 50-100 lbs of gear. I've pulled sleds for overnighter's - but if terrain is real steep and tree'd - a sled would be tough.

Ski / skin combo is where I would go first. It's a very efficient mode of travel.

If I get a bison tag (West Yellowstone, mid winter) - I'm definitely going to take them off skis.

I tried it once. The idea was to get to some high wind swept open ridges where I expected monster bucks to be.

The skis worked great, as the snow was 3-4' deep in most places. Didn't cut a single track all day, but found a lot of grouse.

Coming back down in the dark was a bit more exciting than I planned on. Multiple wipeouts, followed by wallowing in the snow looking for my skis. Be sure to tether.

Last edited:
Decide if you want to hunt or ski. I have a friend who is a diehard telemark guy who stubbornly tried to ski and hunt.he didn't kill an elk until he shed the skis.Too much distraction skinning with poles and trying to use binoculars etc.maybe using skis to access an area but otherwise I think you might not have the proper focus.just so you know I am not bias I sold my alpine gear in 1990 and have telemarked ever since.:D

Check out some history of the Finnish ski troops. Packin' serious gear and taking it to the krauts. I saw a documentary of the krauts counterattacking the Nazis outside of Moscow on skis.

As they say, you must have "gone yard" a couple of times. Not that I would know anything about that other than I was young once. Only takes one time, as does attempting to carry a buck down hill on a pole like in the very old b/w movies.;)

I tried it once. The idea was to get to some high wind swept open ridges where I expected monster bucks to be.

The skis worked great, as the snow was 3-4' deep in most places. Didn't cut a single track all day, but found a lot of grouse.

Coming back down in the dark was a bit more exciting than I planned on. Multiple wipeouts, followed by wallowing in the snow looking for my skis. Be sure to tether.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the replies. Definitely a few items I had not thought of. I have downhill skied before and put on some impressive yard sales, haha I would use the skiing to access an area and take them off to hunt. I would have a sled for sure and probably snow shoes with as well. I didn't realize the amount of snow required to use the skis and issues with vegetation. Appreciate that tidbit. I started thinking about this on my cow hunt in Wyoming this year when due to snow, we had to hike several miles on a road before we started our climb up the mountain.

I've tried it. Can't say I've ever killed an elk that way, but I have gotten into them and had fun with it. Where I tried it (northern Idaho) the elk stayed in the sunny south-facing slopes that had little snow. But the skis allowed me to approach via the north-facing slopes that had 3 feet of snow and drop in from above. This was late-season archery hunting. If I were to do it while rifle hunting, I would ski with the rifle unloaded and tape over the muzzle.

A few years ago I had a really stupid idea that I would ski my boned-out elk out in one of those sleds that strap around your waist. I couldn't get traction to pull the 200 pound sled up any inclines, and I sure as hell couldn't control my speed going down. It was a disaster, and I wound up walking the sled out.

Snowshoes work great, however. And you already have your hiking boots on. This was last year on a windy late hunt.

Attachments

• s IMG_0184.jpg
    s IMG_0184.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 296
Last edited:
Check out some history of the Finnish ski troops. Packin' serious gear and taking it to the krauts. I saw a documentary of the krauts counterattacking the Nazis outside of Moscow on skis.

I thought the Nazis were the krauts?

belly-deep, No, different era, but it surely was not the Germans attacking the Germans at Moscow. I suppose the reds attacking the krauts (more like the Nazis by then) would be more accurate. Either way, these guys were tough dudes, much like rob g is looking on that snowshoe hunt. My dry sense of humor is a little difficult to get across on the internet.

Back