Caribou Gear Tarp

Hunting cycle trailer?

Sytes

Anyone use one to get back in a ways behind gated forest roads?
How are slight up and down hill forest dirt roads with game / gear loads?

$_12.JPG

Has a load capacity of 130lbs. Would I need to install a trailer brake for downhill? How difficult is it to push a cycle uphill w/ the trailer loaded?

In the end, evaluating the ability it offers - is it more an eye candy sale or is it practical as a hunting rig?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I've used a kid carrier similar to that for hauling decoys down roads closed to motor vehicles. Sucks in the rain, mud makes bicycles hard to pedal. Didn't have much slope to contend with so I cant speak to that aspect. I do like not having all the decoys slapping around on my back, problem is that I take more of them, and more support stuff too, like a stove to make breakfast, a thermos of coffee. I probably put 70ish pounds on the trailer and it pulled right along. Less effort than carrying all that crap.

I made my own from a deer hauler. My buddy made his own from scratch. The biggest difference is I have solid tires, compared to pneumatic. I'm looking for pneumatic, solid tires are harder to pull. Other then that be aware going down hill with an elk on board is harder to stop and the trailer may want to pass you up. It's hasn't been a big problem on 3% grades like most logging roads.

The guys over here that use trailers don't use kids bike trailers for very long.

ifish.net and search on hawkeyebilt

I picked up a used kids bike trailer off of craigslist that worked for me. Pedaling up a hill with them can be quite the workout. walking it up is a sinch though. With good brakes on your bike, you'd have no need for any kind of trailer brake. They come in handy sometimes, but I only drag the thing when I got and elk down now. I used to drag it up every time I hunted a certain area, but when you come home empty handed most times the extra effort to cart it in isn't worth it. No I just make an extra trip out to get it if needed.

I have a two kid Burley trailer I got on Craigslist as well. Just like the pic, the Burley's have support on both sides of the axle. I put good tubes, liners and Kevlar tires on and so far haven't had a problem. It fits a big rubbermaid container inside which I fill with food/camp gear then we strap our packs on top of that.

Loaded down like Frenchy mentioned they sure give you a workout uphill, once the grade exceeds a few degrees it's time to push. One place I hunt is 4 miles behind a locked gate slightly uphill going in. The bikes are very nice on the way out of that place, some other places though I'm not as thrilled with it because of grades/rocks. That place I like my carryall buddy game cart much better which is also good for game/cattle trails.

Thanks for the good info guys. I'll give it a shot and do a couple summer test runs. If all goes reasonably well - I'll give it a shot this season.

I've used one last year for the first time. Rode in about 2 miles with our camp and set up. As others mentioned, much of a hill and you'll probably have to push. But if you can find a place thats uphill in, but downhill out, jackpot

I would not recommend using your same one that you use for hauling kids. Found out that all that weight and bumping around can be a litte rough on them (stretch out materials etc).

Attachments

• 20130912_151831 (1024x576).jpg
    20130912_151831 (1024x576).jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back