NEW SITKA Ambient 75

How Many?

I go to the sun river each year and despite the crowds, I always come home with a few. The secret is out on these areas for sure but the thing that I go for is the chance at a giant, and I am usually done with my other spots by the opener.

I did not get to go spring of 2013 but will give it a try in spring of 2014. I am researching areas I can go before the WMA's open up too, in order to hopefully find my first elk shed.

Nobody goes to those anymore, they're too crowded.

I went to Wall Creek this year, my dad, brother, and I each walked out with 2 sheds. It was an experience but I don't know that I will be doing it again, too competitive for my enjoyment.

My experience... most game ranges harbor cows and the small bulls that run with them. Expecting to find a bunch of antlers is not reality. I grew up within a couple dozen miles of a 2 game ranges, and rarely hunted them. The last time I went, the opening day changed by 5 days or something and none of the locals knew about it. I talked to a couple after we got back and they were pissed that it wasn't better announced. haha. We had it all to ourselves... and had horses... We found a total200-250lbs of elk/deer every year in the valley. I gave up in 2002, when I spent 3 days for 2 antlers, competition is crazy.

Like hunting, once you have an idea where to look and what to look for, pull out a map/google earth and start scouting, then put boots on the ground. If you can see it from a road, so can someone else. Look for out of the way areas. If there are game ranges, there are bulls wintering in the same area, likely within a few miles of the WMA.

I was spoiled when I started shed hunting. I had areas that had never been touched. Crazy finding your next antler while holding the one you just picked up. Had many days like that, tough finding more than you could carry. Had to move north for the same kind of experience. :) Can't wait for May to get here!

Attachments

• may14.jpg
    may14.jpg
    352.2 KB · Views: 368
I don't expect to find a lot mostly I just want to go hiking and have fun. Bambistew, my wife would go crazy if she saw how many moose paddles you have in that picture! Being a recent montana transplant I am preparing to put the boot to a lot of ground to learn areas, most likely a good two hour drive to decent public land since I am in GF. I am definitely ready for some winter hiking to ensue this coming weekend.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gauravsingh
Back