How many cubic inches for a 7 day backcountry hunt?

Looking to upgrade my pack and having one helluva time deciding what size pack. Past DIY hunts have consisted of Cabelas Alaskan Guide frame and a 3000cu in or so day pack. The frame had three dry bags stuffed to the gills lashed to it to haul my gear; looking to go a different route now.

I guess my questions to you folks are - 1) do you hunt from one bag (haul it in and then compress while empty as a day pack) and if so 2) how big is your main pack?

Looking at MR, Exo Mountain, Kifaro, and Kuiu.

Thanks for the help.

My buddy and I both use Alps Commander freighter frames. These are 5200 inch packs. We have normally packed in and hunted from a camp leaving the packs behind that we could retrieve pretty quickly.

This year, we are tossing the tent and going for hammocks to lighten the load and perhaps move camp each day. We shall see.

We do a 7 day hunt, 8 miles from trailhead, with 3500 packs with load shelves. We store our weeks worth of food in "roll-top" bags on the load shelf, between the frame and bag for the hike in. We hang the food bags in a tree at our campsite, set up our camp, and hunt with the same packs each day carrying kill kit/raingear and other essentials with us. They are packed full going in! (approx. 55# each total with bows strapped to them)

I use an the optics hunter from outdoorsman and love it. On long trips I attach the accessory pod for my storage. It carries everything I need for solo hunting with room to spare and then compresses nicely for a day back once I am in the back country. I cant remember the total cubic inches (maybe 6000)?. First load out is usually some meat and camp then I drop the pack and do the rest with the stripped frame and bladder.

I bought an EXO 3500 this year and am using it for a 6 day hunt. With the meat shelf between the bag and frame, plus the extending top of the main compartment, it can hold about 5500 cubic inches. I think it would work fine for a 7-day hunt.

Yes, my son and I plan to use one pack for both a daypack (the EXO is really compressible) and carrying the full load in. My EXO is camo and his is a foliage color.

Get a big one. If your pack is full going in, what do you do when you kill something?
With Kifaru being on your list, you're willing to spend the $$, so I'd put Stone Glacier on your list to look at as well. You won't find better service anywhere. Its also the best pack I've ever used, but I haven't tried them all.
I have a Sky Archer 6200 that packs down to 'day pack' mode.

The Kuiu is good for the $.
I've never heard anyone complain about a Kifaru. Their service is top notch as well.
Mystery Ranch is heavy. I can't see the sense is spending $400 to shave 1.5 lbs off a sleeping bag, and then carrying a pack 3-5 lbs heavier than its competitors.
Don't know much about EXO but lots of guys are happy with them.

Last edited:
I would say a week-long trip is a 4500-6000 cu in event depending on the quality of your gear.

Be carefull when comparing packs. Each pack maker has a different wya of measuring the volume. Some only advertise the main bag, some measure the main back and pockets and some include the rated space of the load sling design if it has one.

I personally have the Kuiu 5200 and I like it alot. 3.5-4+ stars for sure. In the same price range and just as good is the Exo Mountain pack. They are larger than advertised so read up. The 3500 is more like a 4500ci pack. I didn't compare Stone Glacier, but they have good stuff too. Top if the line, and rightfully so is the Kifaru. You can't go wrong with Kifaru because its nearly a custom pack and they will work to get it right if you find an issue with it. It is more expensive than everyone else, but they are really good. I will probably end up with one someday, but for now, saving $300 was important enough for me to get a Kuiu.

Good luck. Packs are tough. Its like finding boots. Lots of good brands but all the fits are slightly different and you get what you pay for.

I use a Mystery Ranch Metcalf. For packing meat I simply put in between the frame and bag.

I certainly wouldn't go less than 4500 cubic inches. At that size you are still going to need to be efficient.

4500 to 6500 here. Current pack is a Seek Outside which has been great. Make sure you understand fit and will be able to get proper assist from the load lifters. My pack will compress well for day pack use. Almost like wearing nothing at that point. But I can use a Talon as a day pack if not worried about hauling meat 1st trip back to camp.
HD

Last edited:
PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back