How is Wyoming Antelope late in the season?

3855WIN

My son has a fall break in mid October. We are planning a hunt for that time next year. We both have 7 WY antelope points. Is it worthwhile to hunt them late or have they been picked over?

I think it depends on the unit, but I have heard some good things about going later in the season, although I've always hunted the middle of the season.

It better be good late in the season or I'm up the creek LOL. I like going late so I don't have to deal with the crowds. I've never had a problem finding antelope late in the season.

We hunt a unit that goes until Nov. and they are on the winter range by then. If you hit it right you'll get to see many bucks left over from the season. Weather can be an issue for access.

Yeah...
It could be nice or it could be snowing sideways. Either way it will likely be windy and it could be one or all in the same day.

Pretty much sums up Wyoming in the fall.

Thanks for the replies. Just trying to make the most of the kids fall break from college next year.

We had good rain and snow this past year. The antelope population is up. You should do fine any time of the season.

There is obviously a chance for snow later in the season. By late October the rut has pretty much ended and the antelope start herding up for the winter. They can be more of a challenge to stalk with so many eyes watching. Big bucks have pretty much come out of hiding and there is virtually 0 hunting pressure (other than possibly deer or elk hunters). If there is snow it may limit access in some areas (mud and drifting snow) but as everyone knows the wind blows in Wyo and dries things out pretty fast. If there is snow the antelope may migrate to winter grounds. This changes dramatically from one area to the next. Some areas may actually have more antelope and others may be void (if there is snow). You obviously have to deal with the elements later in the season so be prepared for the worse and hope for the best! If you have any questions I'd be glad to answer them (pm me if you'd like). As mentioned above antelope numbers are slowly increasing in most areas. Keep your fingers crossed there is another relatively mild winter with decent spring moisture.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back