MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

How about a Long Bow bull for a 1st elk?

shoots-straight

My son-in-laws first season has been a good one so far. He works in the Bakken oil field so only gets around a week to see family, friends, and hunt each month.

He really wanted to get into hunting this year and got one of his uncles bows to hunt with. His family happens to make long bows so if he hunts it's going to be with one of them, or nothing. So long story short, he practiced as much as he could with the work schedule he has and got pretty good with the stick.

The first day out I call in this little bull, everything was perfect except the fact that he was pissing. I whispered for his to real it in and get ready, but when the bull walk by and stopped not 12 to 15 yards and looked away my hunter was in more of a hiding mode than killing. He was waiting for me to tell him it's time. Without reason, and just on instinct I pulled up and shot. More of a Alpha wolf teaching the pup to how it's done is all I can come up with. Our instincts are strong. He learned that packing a bull elk out on your back isn't not all that fun. The two of us got him out, so he's now no virgin to packing.

The day before he heads back out to the Bakken, I take him back out. We had several bulls following us around, and just before I call it quits this bull decides to do the honors of his first big game animal. Still being rather tired from the last pack trip and not wanting more elk on my back I called in a bud and we packed his bull out with horse flesh. The kid now has that notch too. Boning in the dark, there's nothing quit like it.

The two bulls:

Attachments

• P9170633.jpg
    P9170633.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 509
  • P9140627.jpg
    P9140627.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 513
  • P9170631.jpg
    P9170631.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 527
Awesome, I would love to take one with my longbow...gonna be a few more years of practice before I'd be comfortable though.

Does his family have a label or are they just for personal use? Looks similar to my Full Draw.

Super! Looks like a fun and quite tiring weekend. Heck, he's probably ready to get to back to work to take a break... ;)

Dang, you guys make it look like there is nothing to that elk hunting stuff. Congrats on the pair.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BullelkSD
Back