Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Hello from the Gulf Coast

Rico

Hi everyone. I’ve been on the site a little while and thought I should introduce myself. I’m a whitetail hunter from northwest Florida. I’ve done a couple of unsuccessful DYI elk hunts in Colorado, once as a teenager and once when I was in my early 20s. (I’m 41 now). I also got to take a mule deer and antelope in 2016 when I was invited to hunt on private land in NE Wyoming. Since then, I’ve been planning to get serious and hunt the public lands DYI for elk and deer on a regular basis. This year, two buddies and I have started buying points in three states so we can rotate through them and hopefully hunt every year with at least 2 or 3 points each time as we rotate through, if that makes sense. Planning on western Montana for 2020. I’m soaking up all the info I can from Randy’s podcasts, Elk Talk and this site. I appreciate you guys and I hope you don’t mind my occasional “new guy” question. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve been big game hunting my entire life, but the hiking in/packing out thing is new to me and I have a lot to learn about elk. Thanks all.

Welcome! What part of NW Florida? I was stationed at Hurlburt Field from '09-'12. That is my favorite area of Florida.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to HT! And don't forget about the OTC states if the elk points don't pan out one year or the next. An unsuccessful hunt is better than no hunt at all, IMO.

Welcome!
I hunt NW Florida as well, but still make all the trips I can out west.

Lots of good people and information around here. Enjoy!

Welcome from South Florida! Have you had any luck after Florida whitetails? Those seem to be a tough deer for me to learn.

Welcome. I was a bit bummed when my sister moved away from Gulf Breeze, FL. The kayak fishing was unreal at times.

Welcome. I was a bit bummed when my sister moved away from Gulf Breeze, FL. The kayak fishing was unreal at times.
I started kayak fishing a few years ago but really haven't been able to devote enough time to it to get good at it. My daughter and I made some catfish lines a few weeks ago and hope to set them for an overnight soak soon. Mostly did bass and bluegill fishing growing up, and some speckled trout fishing over the years.

I've taken my fair share over the years, mostly in NW Florida and lower Alabama. They are skittish creatures.

Skittish and scarce, at least where I am. I've just about written off south florida and plan to start learning the northern half of the state.

Welcome to HT! Also, remember NM as they don't have PP or BPs, good place to throw out a wish and a prayer every year.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceemee63
Back