Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

HD 448 Campsites Lewis and Clark national park

8andcounting

So I've been researching this HD for months and still can't find a definite answer on 2 things . Are the campsites open to hunters pitching a tent or camper ? It says no reservations needed so u just show up and pitch a tent ?- and can you use ATV's on the logging trails . Thanks :D

There are no National Parks named Lewis & Clark in MT. If you are talking about HD 448, then yes, ample opportunities to pitch a tent on the Lewis & Clark National Forest. :)

There are no National Parks named Lewis & Clark in MT. If you are talking about HD 448, then yes, ample opportunities to pitch a tent on the Lewis & Clark National Forest. :)

yes, national forest. haha, sorry, been a long week already. Thanks for your help. Trying to decide whether or not to leave the atv at home.

The USFS website has alot of info on what you are looking for. They have instructions/limitations/facilities regarding camping, and you can also find maps that indicate restrictions on Motorized use.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/main/lcnf/home

Good stuff. I would call the Regional office and ask for travel maps for the area. Those will be vital in finding routes & critters. Lots of activity in the area so don't expect a "backcountry" experience without using some boot leather.

I don't know that area, but you may also want to check to see if it is a Grizzly area ?, if so, all food items need to be stored in bear prof containers.

Kevin

I don't know that area, but you may also want to check to see if it is a Grizzly area ?, if so, all food items need to be stored in bear prof containers.

Kevin

No don't think it is . Could be wrong tho thanks

So I've been researching this HD for months and still can't find a definite answer on 2 things . Are the campsites open to hunters pitching a tent or camper ? It says no reservations needed so u just show up and pitch a tent ?- and can you use ATV's on the logging trails . Thanks :D

You will want the most current travel plan map. Some trails are open to ATVs and they can be beneficial to you.

There are tons of places to camp, most of it is dispersed camping. Lots of places to park a camper or pitch a tent.

There are food storage regulations in that district, but your are highly unlikely to see a grizzly bear. Plenty of blackies.

Where do you find the food restrictions for bears ? The only ones I could find were the national forests in regions 1 . Not for the eastern portion of Lewis and clarck forest HD 448 . Thanks

Has to be put in hard sided camper or trunk of car or inside Can of car or pickup or in pickup box with cover on it and tailgate closed . No food laying around in tent or on picnic table . No meat hanging less than 10 feet off ground

Where do you find the food restrictions for bears ? The only ones I could find were the national forests in regions 1 . Not for the eastern portion of Lewis and clarck forest HD 448 . Thanks

Maybe they've been rescinded? Call the Judith Ranger District. I couldn't find it on the website.

There used to be one, but that was several years ago.

Good stuff. I would call the Regional office and ask for travel maps for the area. Those will be vital in finding routes & critters. Lots of activity in the area so don't expect a "backcountry" experience without using some boot leather.
To add to this, if you have a smartphone that can use the Avenza pdf reader app, the USFS has made many of their travel maps free to download. The cool thing is that the pdfs are geo-referenced and the app works with your phones GPS to show you where you are on the travel map. I used this last month in AZ on the Coronado NF and it worked quite well. The travel maps are about the most basic of maps, but knowing the restrictions and showing you which road you are on came in handy.

http://www.fs.fed.us/news/2013/releases/11/e-maps.shtml

Garbage

Has to be put in hard sided camper or trunk of car or inside Can of car or pickup or in pickup box with cover on it and tailgate closed . No food laying around in tent or on picnic table . No meat hanging less than 10 feet off ground

Bear prof also means no garbage left out at camp. and that includes Pop and Beer cans - bottles.
you can't leave any kind of cooking spices in your tent either, salt, pepper, coffee, not even tooth paste.

Kevin

Bear prof also means no garbage left out at camp. and that includes Pop and Beer cans - bottles.
you can't leave any kind of cooking spices in your tent either, salt, pepper, coffee, not even tooth paste.

Kevin

ok thanks for your help, I just cant find anything for that area ive been researching everywhere . Oh and yes I did get an updated map for my Iphone ! thatll be slick. I just get nervous going to a new area, want to be prepared as possible, im in shape, 5'10 155 lbs and run average of 7-10 miles per week . Don't smoke and drink a few beers but not much. Have been elk hunting in Colorado 3 times, shot cows . Want to do everything I can to improve my odds at a bull. thanks for all help

PM me if you decide to hunt this area. I've spent a lot of time there and can maybe help you out.

Back