Hard ejecting spent round

Bubbs398

I bought a couple boxes of premium factory ammo to test out in my 2 308's and have run into an interesting issue.

I'm shooting a Howa 1500 and a Christensen Mesa and am having the same issue in both guns.

Once fired, you can barely lift the bolt and I mean it takes a LOT of force to pull them up. From what I've read it seems like this is typically an overpressure or soft brass issue, more common in handloads.

I'm five shots into 2 boxes and it's happened on each shot, 2 in the Howa and 3 in the Christensen.

Has anyone else experienced this in factory ammo?

Should I write off the 2 boxes and move on or how should I address this?

Both guns are sub MOA with other factory ammo.

I'd say you're pretty right on. If they chamber ok then is does sound like an over-pressure or soft brass issue. I would certainly contact the manufacturer. That doesn't sound safe.

What do your primers look like?
To be honest I'm not sure what to look for. They don't appear different than other factory rounds I shot.

To add to my orignal post, I've had the Howa for several years with no prior issues and no issues the last range day with other brands. The Christensen is a little newer with a lower round count but similar with no issues with other brands.

You have a batch of high pressure ammo.
Contact the manufacturer.
You can also check the manufacturers website to see if they have recalled that lot number already.

The manufacturers of ammo are way more willing to issue a recall vs manufacturers of other items. Notably automobile & appliances.

It has historically happened before. Most notably with Remington.

I've heard of 2 bullets in one cartridge from Winchester.

Definitely a bad batch of ammo or at least loaded to hot for your rifles. Don’t continue firing them and contact the manufacturer.
What brand and bullet is it?

I had a new Savage 12FV 6.5CM that shot Hornady factory just fine but had the same really stiff bolt lift you observed with Nosler factory ammo. I was thinking tight chamber or over pressure ammo but the primers looked fine and the velocities were moderate - I was stumped. I tried all kinds of things and couldn't find a good answer, but did notice that with a micrometer that the COL on the Nosler was a tiny bit longer (but still in SAMMI spec).

Weirdly it ended up being that the forward action screw was the tiniest bit proud into the action (it was so small it was only visible with a bore scope). Something about the sizing of that Nosler ammo and/or relative soft/hardness of the two brands of brass interacted with the bolt in a way to bind the proud action screw after firing but not on chambering of the Nosler rounds. I ground down a few thousands from the bolt tip and everything worked perfectly after that. I would have never guessed to check this, but a couple of guys on another gun forum suggested this as a problem to check, so I guess I wasn't the first.

Last edited:
Its hard to imagine 2 whole boxes of bad factory ammo, although anything is possible. Do you have any buddies with .308s that you can try them out in? Google flattened primers. If you aren't seeing that, doubt you have a pressure issue. Head scratcher for sure

IMG_4727.png
Case on the left is a Hornady Outfitter (165gr GMX), case on the right is a Nosler Trophy Grade (165gr Accubond) both fired yesterday.

The Nosler is the one giving me the issue.

I'll give the other box a go in both guns later this week and if they have the same issue will contact the company.

I had a new Savage 12FV 6.5CM that shot Hornady factory just fine but had the same really stiff bolt lift you observed with Nosler factory ammo. I was thinking tight chamber or over pressure ammo but the primers looked fine and the velocities were moderate - I was stumped. I tried all kinds of things and couldn't find a good answer, but did notice that with a micrometer that the COL on the Nosler was a tiny bit longer (but still in SAMMI spec).

Weirdly it ended up being that the forward action screw was the tiniest bit proud into the action (it was so small it was only visible with a bore scope). Something about the sizing of that Nosler ammo and/or relative soft/hardness of the two brands of brass interacted with the bolt in a way to bind the proud action screw after firing but not on chambering of the Nosler rounds. I ground down a few thousands from the bolt tip and everything worked perfectly after that. I would have never guessed to check this, but a couple of guys on another gun forum suggested this as a problem to check, so I guess I wasn't the first.

Been there, done that, had that.

Savage :(
As much as they suck. I’m sure Remington let’s equally poor excuses for workmanship out the door, and I won’t quite buying them. :(

Both are P poor for a factory rifle, but highly serviceable with minimal effort and well worth the money...if you’re not gonna leave them as is. I’m a 700 man to my core, but if you want a decent rifle out of the box, buy a CZ, Cooper, Tikka, Nosler, or Howa...in that order.

Next time grind the screw instead of the bolt.

Savage :(
As much as they suck. I’m sure Remington let’s equally poor excuses for workmanship out the door, and I won’t quite buying them. :(

Both are P poor for a factory rifle, but highly serviceable with minimal effort and well worth the money...if you’re not gonna leave them as is. I’m a 700 man to my core, but if you want a decent rifle out of the box, buy a CZ, Cooper, Tikka, Nosler, or Howa...in that order.

Next time grind the screw instead of the bolt.
I like the 12FV for the money (no Tikka but much less $$). In my specific case, I swapped stocks so not blaming Savage for this - it just surprised me as a failure mode. When I swapped stocks I figured if the bolt closed smoothly and a simple visual check was OK, I was good to go. Now I know to check for even the slightest amount of "proud" with a bore-cam even if smooth bolt close.

I like the 12FV for the money (no Tikka but much less $$). In my specific case, I swapped stocks so not blaming Savage for this - it just surprised me as a failure mode. When I swapped stocks I figured if the bolt closed smoothly and a simple visual check was OK, I was good to go. Now I know to check for even the slightest amount of "proud" with a bore-cam even if smooth bolt close.

I’m sure most Savages are well worth the money. I know I’ve seen my share of Remingtons that were far from something I’d be happy with if I hadn’t planned to mess with them from the beginning.

I had a similar issue with a Remington in 6BR. Neither the bolts, nor the stock were factory. It just plain shot like crap. Put it back in the other stock and it shot .250”. I switched it back to the stock that shot poorly and torqued the bejeebers outta the screws that time. Then the bolt was hard to close on an empty chamber. That’s when I noticed that the front action screw was touching the locking lugs on the bolt. I ground the screw down a little and bingo, back to shooting lights out.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back