had a blast

old man

Well, back from first ever o.m.o. Wyoming elk hunt. Sure learned a lot. was very surprised to see so many dam deer, really think they should have a bounty on them. first off, had no idea where in area 37 I was going to hunt, second I didn't reserve a truck so had to take a jeep grand Cherokee with all the bells and whistles that I had no idea how to use and didn't take the time to find out. but it cost me a small forchin. But was having such a good time did not care. saw all kinds of wildlife, beautiful county and listening to my oldies when I was driving around looking for the places I wanted to hunt. had no idea what I was looking for other than tracks, rubs and scat. was very disappointed in the condition of some of the forest roads. yes some hunters used them because they were certainly getting away from the crowds but what they don't seem to realize that if nothing is done to them soon no one will be able to use them. I did find many spots that had elk scat and rubs but because all scat was so hard I thought it was so old that the elk had already moved on. But on my last day I did find scat that was soft and almost warm so I really got serious and was going to hunker down when I spotted this huge animal and my hart started pumping only to find out it was a cow moose with her young one. DID NOT SEE A SINGLE ELK UNTIL THE EVENING OF MY LAST DAY, I HAD TO ALMOST STOP TO LET THIS HUGE BULL CROSS THE ROAD, OOOW MY GOD ARE THEY BIG! HAVN'T SEEN AN ELK UP CLOSE SINCE 1988.

Sounds like you had a great time. Thanks for sharing your story. I bet you are already thinking about next year.

You got that Right. in fact if the wife would let me, I am ready to go back right NOW. sure wish we could move out there, but wife is not in good enough health.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fingelfinger
Back