H 4350 and monos in the 7mm-08

Dougfirtree

Have any of you ever tried H 4350 in your 7mm-08 with 140 grain monos, like the E-Tip, TTSX, etc? Would love to hear what you used as a starting load, where you maxed out, etc. Hodgdon has data for 140 soft points and 145 grain softpoints. I'm guessing the monos would be closer to the 145, but would be interested in any data you folks have. Thanks!

I am in the process of trying 4350 in my son’s 7mm-08. Have several loads built but can’t get to the range. Everything closed around Dallas.

41 grains of Varget with 140 Accubond makes my Browning A-bolt 7mm-08 very accurate. Been shooting the load a couple years. Groups 5 rounds under MOA consistent and had taken a bull elk and a couple deer. Varget is hard to beat.

Barnes doesn’t even list it. They are usually pretty spot on for recommendations for best powders.

FDDC3F84-4B09-4ADE-A3B6-1F4437FDF275.png

Not to be the resident nay-sayer, but I tried a lot of different bullets with H4350 in my 7-08. I could get nothing to group. I've heard of others having some success with it, but it sure wasn't my experience.
+1
BB.jpg

I thought I'd just throw it out there that an under-used powder (seems under-used to me) is H4895. Varget is good stuff, but I find H4895 as good or better in .308. I haven't played with it as much in 7mm-08, but I do have one real good load with that and 140grn Federal TBTs. I believe I'm using cci 200s on that one. Never used it hunting but its pretty darn fast and accurate. Seems I did pretty good with with 139grn Hornady BTSPs as well but I got distracted around that time with RS Big Game. Pretty much everything thing I've loaded for a while now for 7-08 has been with Big Game.

Funny thing, though, Big Game and those Federal TBTs really didn't work well together. Strange how that happens. Accubonds and Interbonds have both been terrific in that rifle with Big Game.

I'm using accubonds but I've gotten good accuracy with 4350 but it was on the slow side. I get the same accuracy with an extra 100 fps with varget

This is interesting to pop up here this week. I stupidly offered to reload some 7mm-08 for a friend. He bought powder and the 139gr GMX that he wanted to shoot. I told him Varget would be my preferred option but when he was shopping he couldn’t find any and ended up with H4350. In the back of my head, that little voice tells me there is a reason that there is no data with monos for this bullet but my stubbornness showed through. I used jacketed 140 data and loaded up ten to try to see where I start running into pressure. Heavy powder compression from starting loads, even after “settling” the powder in the case. So much so that the bullet was sticking in the seating stem when loading. I think I’m going to pull these 10 and use from my stash of Varget or something else on my shelf. It just doesn’t seem to be what I want to use for this cartridge.

I have not tried H4350 but I worked up a load with the 140 TTSX this past weekend for my wife’s tikka with IMR 4166, 42.0 grains WLR primer, 2840fps and sub-MOA. I emailed Barnes for the load data as I couldn’t find anything listed.

I have loaded 47 gr. H4350 with 140 TSX bullets with no problems. This load shot very well with just shy of 2800 fps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back