Grocery store hunt.

Tom

A friend and I went hog hunting. A local rancher saw me at the grocery store and he knows I hunt and have hunting friends. He had some blackbuck come through on his ranch and told us about them. My friend got a good one! We were going to Wyoming later for a pronghorn, but he's off to Iraq now, so we cancelled that trip. Neat, he got a good exotic antelope here anyway, here it is.

Attachments

• blackbuck.jpg
    blackbuck.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 249
We were going to Wyoming later for a pronghorn, but he's off to Iraq now, so we cancelled that trip.
Congrats to your buddy. Too bad you are eating a Wyoming lope tag. Even solo it would be a fun free-ranging hunt in a great state.

I'm not eating a tag, we withdrew from the draw in time for a refund.

There's plenty of hunting here that's fun and free ranging and only a few hundred miles away on every weekend of the year when I have time off. I teach in the fall, it makes it more difficult to leave work for a more expensive and long time consuming trip somewhere else.

Woops, I thought by saying you cancelled the trip there was an indication of a drawn tag.

Good luck with your hunting this fall.

Okay, forgive my ignorance about Texas hunting, but I have some questions. You say he had "some blackbuck come through on his ranch.."

1) Are those things free-ranging?

2) Does your buddy's ranch have a high fence?

3) If not, did that thing escape from somebody else's place?

4) Is it okay to shoot your neighbor's escaped livestock?

I'm confused and was just thinking how pissed off a rancher around here would be if one of his cattle went through the fence and his neighbor let guys shoot them.

Hopefully your buddy gets to hunt some Wyoming antelope next time..

Miller hunts hogs anywhere and everywhere. Maybe we should ask him.:D

Everytime Tom posts, the same bunch of scum surfaces.

280 posted:
Quote:
"I teach in the fall,"
Please tell me you don't teach Literary Composition

This is what I'm talking about!

It would be a lot nicer if you posted something along these lines.

Tom said "I teach in the fall"
Tom, did you school this pretty young lady?
http://boortz.com/more/video/2007_teen_usa_blonde.html

Sorry Tom I'm just kidding:D

She'll make some southern trust baby a fine starter wife pa mt.:D

It is funnier than chit to see 280 satirizing Tom's (or anyone's) com skills....what a rocket surgeon!:rolleyes:

pa mt man, I could not even watch that! Man if her head was flat she would make the perfect woman......but DUMB! Nice Blackbuck Tom. Now start bitch slapping some of those posters!!!! John:D :D

You sound bitter NHY, but then again if I lived in Texas I would be bitter too!

Okay, forgive my ignorance about Texas hunting, but I have some questions. You say he had "some blackbuck come through on his ranch.."

1) Are those things free-ranging?

2) Does your buddy's ranch have a high fence?

3) If not, did that thing escape from somebody else's place?

4) Is it okay to shoot your neighbor's escaped livestock?

I'm confused and was just thinking how pissed off a rancher around here would be if one of his cattle went through the fence and his neighbor let guys shoot them.

Hopefully your buddy gets to hunt some Wyoming antelope next time..

Greenhorn,
A buddy of mine went to Texas a few months ago. THis is how he explained it to me. He said you can buy an exotic tag that permits you to shoot any exotic, non native species. He also said that the black bucks, axis deer, audade (sp) and lots of other "exotic" species are free ranging and go anywhere they want. To legally shoot them all you need is an exotic permit. That is how I understood it. He said these exotics are reproducing on their own and there is a healthy population of exotics in the hill country area of Texas. Thats all I know about it. It would be fun to go hunt them!!

NONGAME ANIMALS (Includes, but is not limited to the following):
Armadillos*
Bobcats*
Coyotes*
Flying squirrels
Frogs
Ground squirrels
Mountain lions
Porcupines
Prairie dogs
Rabbits
Turtles

Does not include feral hog (see Exotic Animals).
No closed season. These animals may be hunted at any time by any lawful means or methods on private property. Public hunting lands may have restrictions. A hunting license is required.

*BOBCAT pelts sold, purchased, traded, transported or shipped out of state must have a pelt tag (CITES) attached. A pelt tag must be attached prior to being transported or shipped out of this state. Pelt tags may be obtained from any permitted bobcat pelt dealer, or TPWD Regional & Field Law Enforcement Offices. For additional information contact TPWD (800) 792-1112, menu 7, option 9 or (512) 389-4481.

Live *COYOTES are currently under a statewide rabies quarantine that prohibits them from being transported or sold in Texas (see hunting license exception). For information on the rabies quarantine, visit: http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/idcu/health/zoonosis/default.asp

*ARMADILLOS: Possession and sale of live armadillos is restricted.
No person may possess a diamondback terrapin at any time.
No person may hunt (capture, trap, take, or kill) any wild animal or wild bird on a public road or the right-of-way of a public road.

SALE AND POSSESSION OF CERTAIN NONGAME ANIMALS
Beginning September 1, 2007, new rules will govern the collection, possession, and sale of non-game wildlife. Texas Parks and Wildlife Department has created a list of species of non-game wildlife lawful to use in commercial acitvity (sale, offer for sale, barter, or exchange), provided a Nongame Permit or Nongame Dealer's Permit has been obtained. Commercial activity involving any other species of non-game wildlife is unlawful. Any person may possess up to 25 specimens of species on the list for personal, non-commercial use without a permit. The possission for commercial activity of any species of non-game wildlife not on the list is unlawful; however, up to 6 specimens of any unlisted species may be possessed for personal, non-commercial use. A landowner or landowner's agent may kill any non-game wildlife other than threatened or endangered species at any time in any number, provided the wildlife is not used in a commercial activity. In addition, the rules will provide for the grandfathering of existing collections.

The take of any non-game species for commercial purposes from public lands or waters is unlawful.
Except for red-eared slider, common snapping turtle, and softshell turtle, the take or possession of turtles for commercial activity is unlawful.

"CANNED HUNTS" (DANGEROUS WILD ANIMALS)
No person may kill or attempt to injure a dangerous wild animal (African or Asiatic lion, tiger, leopard, cheetah, hyena, bear, elephant, wolf, or rhinoceros, or any subspecies or hybrid of these animals) that is held in captivity in this state or that is released from captivity in this state for the purpose of being killed, nor may any person conduct, promote, advertise, or assist in the hunting of a dangerous wild animal.

EXOTIC ANIMALS AND FOWL
Exotic animal refers to grass-eating or plant-eating, single-hoofed or cloven-hoofed mammals that are not indigenous or native to Texas and are known as ungulates, including animals from the deer and antelope families that landowners have introduced into this state. Includes, but is not limited to feral hog, Aoudad sheep, Axis deer, Elk, Sika deer, Fallow deer, Blackbuck antelope, Nilgai antelope, and Russian boar. Exotic fowl refers to any avian species that is not indigenous to this state, including ratites (emu, ostrich, rhea, cassowary, etc.).
There are no state bag or possession limits or closed seasons on exotic animals or fowl on private property. It is against the law to:
Hunt an exotic without a valid hunting license.
Hunt an exotic on a public road or right-of-way.
Hunt an exotic without the landowner's permission.
Possess an exotic or the carcass of an exotic without the owner's consent.
Penalty: A person who violates these laws commits an offense that is a Class A Parks and Wildlife Code misdemeanor ($500-$4000 and/or up to one year in jail).

"CANNED HUNTS" (DANGEROUS WILD ANIMALS)
No person may kill or attempt to injure a dangerous wild animal (African or Asiatic lion, tiger, leopard, cheetah, hyena, bear, elephant, wolf, or rhinoceros, or any subspecies or hybrid of these animals) that is held in captivity in this state or that is released from captivity in this state for the purpose of being killed, nor may any person conduct, promote, advertise, or assist in the hunting of a dangerous wild animal.

OMG,,,thats is some funny stuff

We would have got some tag, if not the first draw, then the second, most likely.

We stopped at the grocery store on the way to the hog hunt for some supplies. Blackbucks are out all day, they're antelope, so we headed out for them after some morning and evening hog hunting nearby.

Ok, I think we should help Iraq and Asia to and emphasize geography more and I wish I had more students that look like that. She was 3rd runner up in Miss Teen USA and I think she has a great future! She's from South Carolina though, so not my student.

That blackbuck was free ranging, but not all of them here are. My buddy's ranch does not have high fence. His ranch has had free ranging blackbuck and axis for years, so if they escaped from somewhere it was a long time ago and many generations ago. Even though they are legally like livestock they are practically like wildlife. Its a mix. Unless tagged, they can be shot on anybody's land where you have permission from the owner to hunt them.
This rancher uses them for extra money when he gets some good ones.

He's really in the cattle and sheep business, but sells a hunt sometimes.

The hill country part of Texas has about 50% of the exotics in Texas, I've heard, but south Texas has a lot too, most of the free ranging Nilgai are down there for one.

If a rancher here lets an exotic escape his ranch, it will probably be shot pretty quick by a neighboring ranch hunter. If its a big ranch, they may try to attract them and establish a herd of their own there. Its just the way it is, they are open game then, year round, 24 hours a day too. If they have good neighbors and rare animals, they might get some help getting them back, but I don't hear about that happening much myself.

The liscense to hunt exotics is $45 over the counter for 5 days hunting for a non-resident. Its like $120 for the whole year, Sept.1 to Aug.31, that's our hunting year. So, if someone were to hunt here more than 2 periods of 5 consecutive days, i.e. two $45 liscenses, then they should just get the annual liscense. It covers hogs, all the other exotics and 2 javelina also, which are native. Its the landowner permission that costs more here, not the liscense. There are public hunts too though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burger hunter
Back