Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Grace strikes again

van franke

Well my wife Grace drew a plains late season rifle tag here in Colorado and we were optimistic about taking a good deer. The first weekend was Dec. 5 and 6th and it was bitter cold with the temperature never getting much above 10 and the deer were sparse; we found a small fork horn and a 140ish buck.

Saturday Dec 12th
First thing in the morning as the sun was just starting to light up the country side a buck stood up 50 yards off the road. At first glance he looked like a small buck, but after looking at him through the binoculars I noticed he had decent mass. We watched him move out into the crp and bed down. Grace decided with limited time to hunt we should try and make a stalk. A little after noon we started creeping towards his bed in the chest tall grass, on the way in we spotted four does and fortunately they hadn’t spotted us. After about 30 minutes they finally started moving to the other side of the field. I knew we were close to the last spot we had seen the buck. We didn’t want to trip over him or alert him so I let out a few snort wheezes along with some grunts. Five minutes had passed and finally he stood up. Only the top of his rack was visible over the grass at 120 yards, and to my surprise he started working his way right toward us.
grace03.jpg

grace05.jpg

grace04.jpg

At 80 yards he finally presented a clean shot and she made it count. He ran 35 yards and tipped over
grace07.jpg

grace10.jpg

grace02.jpg

Nice buck. Sometimes I wish I could get my wife to hunt and sometimes I am glad she doesn't :)

The camera is a nikon d40 with a 70-300 mm nikkor lens. It takes good pictures and is light and compact. You know its a lot of fun to go hunting with her on her tags. Its some good quality time together. When I have a tag I dont like to hunt with anyone. I like to be out on my own just the animal and me.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back