Caribou Gear Tarp

Got a Bear Yesterday

Shot him with a Weatherby Vanguard in 30/06 at 200 yards. 180 grain Winchester Power Point through the top of the heart did him in, although it took him a while to realize he was dead. :D

It's a great looking bear, but I don't think WH looks exceptionally cute on any of the pictures..

Congratulations WH, you cute looking thing, you...Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!

:cool:

He looks pretty good! Glad you found that one in time, even though he ran. That's great! Are you getting a bear rug or anything like that?

Tom, no, don't want to spend the money. But I am having pepperoni and sausage made from all the meat. Ended up with 80 pounds after boning it and trimming all the fat off. Here is the sausage recipe that I found on the net:

http://www.recipezaar.com/76106

My meat cutting guy is going to do it for me, I just have to provide all the ingredients. I would've done it myself, but I'm kind of short on time right now, with Memorial Day weekend coming up.

Yes this is a nice bear. BUT I am having a hard time with the fact that you killed another bear that ended up as coyote bait. 50 yards from the timberline is a little unexcusable. ANYWAYS good second bear .

GFHunter, yes I feel bad about that too but we searched for blood and couldn't find a drop. This was in the open and we knew we were looking exactly on the path the bear had followed. Once the bear left the clearcut we had no idea which way it went, and as thick as the brush is here in western Washington, 50 yards really is quite a distance. Sure knowing what I know now we should have taken a couple of hours and just kept going in circles until we eventually would have found the bear (maybe.) I really thought I had missed the shot. If it makes you feel any better, there are way too many bears in this area, as baiting is not allowed, and either is hunting with hounds. This is the first year they've had this special spring hunt in this unit. The timber damage is getting out of control and the bear population desperately needs to be reduced. Out of 100 permits, it looks as if there will end up being about 10 bears killed. That's not many and surely it won't even make a small dent in the population. The DNR wildlife biologist has told me he would like to double the number of permits next year. Anyway, my point is that while I am not happy about losing a bear, I am not going to lose a whole lot of sleep over it. I also don't see it as going totally to waste, as I am sure a couple of other bears and lots of coyotes got a good meal out of it.

GFhunter - yes, it probably is inexcusable to lose that first bear.......I don't think that will ever happen to us again. I always try to learn from mistakes.

The bear didn't act at all like it was hit and it ran for over a 100 yards through the clearcut and we never found a drop of blood in the clearcut. WH, had fallen down while trying to get into position for the shot and then had to rush the shot before the bear went out of his view; so even though he usually hits what he shoots at, I believed that he missed when he said he thought he missed due to falling and then taking a quick shot.

With that said, this is a depredation hunt and the DNR biologist is very happy to have as many bears taken as possible. Hell, the private landowners hire bear killers to come in and run the bears with hounds and kill them. We talked to one hound guy that said that when they kill a bear, they are not allowed to take any part of the bear out of the woods. So, I guess I'm trying to justify the fact that we didn't find the bear as being like the hound guy's requirement of having to leave the bear in the woods.

Anyway, like I said I've learned that bears don't act like they are hit when shot. When I get a chance at a bear (hopefully in August) I'm going to shoot him through both shoulders.

p.s. - WH, I hope you didn't mind that I posted on the board about finding that first bear, but I thought it might help others learn from our mistake of thinking you missed.

You know whats kinda funny. we enter the woods wanting to kill game. but if we make a bad shot on the animal and cannot find it we hope that it lives and is heathy. it is good to hear that fellow hunters have a high respect for the animals we hunt.

W. H.,

It's not a perfect world, and I don't think there's one of us who has hunt much that has not had something go wrong or make a mistake. I'm glad you and Curly tell things the way they are so others might learn from your experience. I wouldn't lose much sleep either if I were you.

Thats some thick stuff you guys got to hunt in out there. I see that nasty plant Devil's Club in the photo. Fun stuff! I don't think many people relieze how thick that country is until they've experienced it in person. Congrats again on your bear.

BHR, thanks. And yes, nasty would be the correct term for Devil's Club! Of course, just the name itself (Devil's Club) pretty much tells it all. :D I don't like to even try to walk through that stuff unless I have a machete!

And to think you were worried about finding one.........

NIce bear.. I've been MIA and too busy this year to spend much time out. I'm usually skinning bears by this time of the year (OK, I skined one tonight but it wasn't mine :D).

Kudos on the Bear, It's a DANDY !!!

On the blood trail. I've lost bears before. The things about bears is normally you don't find a Blood trail like a Deer or Elk. Anyone that can Track a wounded bear trail over 100 yards is more then 1/2 Indian. That's why we try to make the shots count. But Hunting is Hunting and loosing game happens.

Moosie - Your drunk!!!!! Wiley and I tracked one over a mile and it was shot in the arse. Know go up and shoot hum-v will ya. Good luck today.

Congrats to ya W.H. man you guys up in the northwest are really stacking them up... enjoy your sausage...that sounds like a good way to process bear meat pepperoni ...MMMM.. let us know how it turns out.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back