PEAX Equipment

Getn the FEVER

Craven

Yes and deedy speedy we are under 3 months until the family and I can go chase Ol Tom around the woods again. We have a few hunts planned this year mainly up in the NE corner of Washington then maybe a weekend or two in the central part of the state. I will be doing alot of calling this year trying to get Lisa and her son Sam birds this year. After we move in a couple weeks in will be time to break out the vest and get the dust off all the calls then figure out what else i NEED to buy before season a new 12ga for Lisa would be great but may not be in the cards this year. Have to find a better choke/shell combo for the 20ga for sure.

Yup! Yup! 'Bout time to start scoutin' and gettin' some good exercise, don't you know... I love this time of year for scoutin'. The leaves are gone so you can see better in the woods, and the only other people in the woods are a few sparse hog hunters. You can really learn a lot about an area and get some great exercise too.
Makes you learn to read the sign better too... Animals may change their patterns w/ the seasons, so recent info is always better. But knowing the lay of the land always provides an advantage, especially when hunting public land...

Animals may change their patterns w/ the seasons, so recent info is always better.
That is for sure around here the birds will flock to one spot in the fall and winter I see hundreds everyday deer hunting and all winter they hang out in the same spot then as soon as march rolls around the dispers and when turkey season rolls around u can sit there all day and never ever hear or see a bird.
But I agree anytime in the woods is time well spent.

That is for sure around here the birds will flock to one spot in the fall and winter I see hundreds everyday deer hunting and all winter they hang out in the same spot then as soon as march rolls around the dispers and when turkey season rolls around u can sit there all day and never ever hear or see a bird.

During the winter months the turkeys are mostly in large flocks, but they will start to break up as spring approaches and move toward nesting areas for the breeding season. What I like to do is scout the birds every chance I get so I can follow the transitions. Of course, knowing where the key nesting areas are significantly helps the process, but things change sometimes from year to year, and you have to be ready to adapt as well. Plus, as I mentioned before, you get to learn the lay of the land better and that's always a positive.
But you need to be extra careful to keep from bumping the birds too much before the season. Also calling should be kept to a minimum to prevent educating the birds too much. This is a good time to practice your crow and owl calls... if they will answer at all.
Mostly it becomes a sign/ tracking exercise... but that's always good info too.
About March the birds will begin talking more and beginning to break into smaller groups frequenting the nesting areas. That's when I start leaving them alone until the season opens. Oh, I'll get out there early and late and listen, but I stop walking the woods at least 2 weeks before the season opens to prevent bumping birds. There's too many others out there doing it anyway...

Yup! You guys got me going... I spent the last few hours this afternoon exploring more of that area where I got that buck back in Nov. I was looking for turkey sign and hogs mostly, but I didn't find either today. However, I found some excellent habitat that will, no doubt, produce at some point.
There was fresh deer tracks and some hog sign, but nothing like back in Nov. And I've seen turkeys in the area enough to know they use it. It's just a matter of figuring them out.
Anyway, it was get it done this afternoon or wait, 'cause rain's coming again tomorrow. But it was a great afternoon... just bein' out there...

Last edited:
Yup! You guys got me going... I spent the last few hours this afternoon exploring more of that area where I got that buck back in Nov. I was looking for turkey sign and hogs mostly, but I didn't find either today. However, I found some excellent habitat that will, no doubt, produce at some point.
There was fresh deer tracks and some hog sign, but nothing like back in Nov. And I've seen turkeys in the area enough to know they use it. It's just a matter of figuring them out.
Anyway, it was get it done this afternoon or wait, 'cause rain's coming again tomorrow. But it was a great afternoon... just bein' out there...

i dont think i ever saw the buck do you have pics

Birds were all around me during deer season. They were sharing the field with the deer. At one time I had 27 birds and 18 deer in front of me. I know we have 4 nice Toms close to the farm house and around the lake there are another dozen of so. I'm biting at the bit right now. Even pulled out the slate to make some noise.

I think it is hitting a lot of folks around here! I am getting pretty pumped too, between getting ready for our NWTF chapter banquet and the weather being pretty nice around here, I'm getting the fever....

Yowser, put the waterfowl & upland stuff away this weekend......looked at my turkey gear......it's starting to itch......9 weeks til show time.
I too have been working on our upcoming 20th aniv. NWTF banquet here in Boise.
WD

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallguy
Back