Garmin Nuvi?

idnative1948

Anybody have/use one? I am tired of reading through some of the crap reviews.

My wife thinks it would be nice to have one for our upcoming three week road trip through UT and AZ.

They work really well. I would be absolutely lost in most cities with out it. I would also recommend getting one with a large screen. The small screens are hard for old eyes to see. Look on ebay and you can usually find some good deals.

Getting one with updates included is important, and blindly following "turn left in 400 feet" could land you in a lot of trouble. They can keep you from getting really lost, but it is funny how the selected route of travel would vary from the way I would choose in areas with which I am familiar.

I have a Garmin nuvi 50 LM (5" screen lifetime maps). It is very handy for getting around, and the screen size is nice. sometimes they might take you on a wild goose chase though. One thing I like is in SD we have downloadable public land maps from the GFP. When you are driving around it is easy to see where the public land is. I think I paid about $100 for it, but they might be cheaper by now. Good luck

Remember when we had to use maps? And drive at the same time. That's probably illegal now.. It was kinda like texting and driving. Look down try and figure out where you are, look up... Ok look down where am I again? Look back up. Then you realize the map is upside down....

We have our maps of all the places we are going, but when you are towing a trailer in unfamiliar territory it is hard to make a *3-lane change*. My navigator is not a quick decision maker at times when you are on six lanes doing 65mpg...

Remember when we had to use maps? And drive at the same time. That's probably illegal now.. It was kinda like texting and driving. Look down try and figure out where you are, look up... Ok look down where am I again? Look back up. Then you realize the map is upside down....

I have an older Nuvi. It needs map updated, but what Garmin wants for the update, I think it would be better to buy a new unit with lifetime updates included. But I dont use mine that often anymore. I have a chip that shows "all" (actually shows most) public lands in MN, and thats really the only time I use it. Looking for new places to hunt. Otherwise it works good. Sometimes that touchscreen buttons are not that reactive when touched. But maybe mine is coming to the end of its useful life. Ive had it about 6 years or so and I bought it used at a pawn shop for cheap. I would definitely get another Garmin.

I've got one and I think they're great. However, if you have a smart phone I'd recommend using it instead because the information is going to be better. And a word of warning; if you're not paying attention they can get you into trouble. Just ask Michael Scott: http://youtu.be/BIakZtDmMgo

That's video is actually not too far from the truth! When I was in Puerto Rico, for work, the " Never Lost" GPS in the rental car had me going everywhere, except where I wanted to go. One time, during evening rush hour, in San Juan, (worst I've Ever seen) the damn thing had me circling all over and right in the middle of a long bridge, going over a wide lagoon, demanded I make a right turn Right Now !! KerrrPlunk.......

A Delorme Gazetteer for the state you're headed and a smart phone that you know how to use are the ticket in my opinion.

My nuvi would take me on two different routes for round trip somewhere. It was like it didn't make since to return the way I came.

They aren't perfect, but they have came a long way and really help you out. One feature I like is they tell you to turn before you have to turn. This has helped me not miss my turn on trips like you are taking. It also shows the speed limit which is very nice. Arrival time is a nice feature that I use a lot too. In my opinion, it is way better and way easier than a smartphone. Either will work, but a unit made solely for navigation is going to be better than a unit that only a part of it is for navigation.

Just use a little common sense and it will be fantastic. On a long trip like that, it may goof up once. But the other 99% of the time it will shine.

Thanks for your input. I drove all over town to play with the models we are considering. Decision is made, so will be picking a 2597LMT that happens to be on sale. Could have gone a little cheaper, but wanted current technology and Lifetime maps and traffic updates.

QUOTE=MNElkNut;2418146]They aren't perfect, but they have came a long way and really help you out. One feature I like is they tell you to turn before you have to turn. This has helped me not miss my turn on trips like you are taking. It also shows the speed limit which is very nice. Arrival time is a nice feature that I use a lot too. In my opinion, it is way better and way easier than a smartphone. Either will work, but a unit made solely for navigation is going to be better than a unit that only a part of it is for navigation.

Just use a little common sense and it will be fantastic. On a long trip like that, it may goof up once. But the other 99% of the time it will shine.[/QUOTE]

Back