MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Friggen Huge!

We have the same issues in lakes and rivers with the northern pike.
A dam shame is all. I consider the walleye and pike an excellent game fish. Drove thousands of miles and many trips to Canada for these trophies. Now out west here in our backyards, they are no different than carp.
Crazy.

Ben- I know you're always looking for a good hunt talk argument so I'll play ball. The Missouri between holter and cascade has 7000 trout per mile. The resource couldn't possibly be any healthier. Walleye are cool, eat great, and I think a little variety in sw montana is great- I absolutely love the mo- fish it a ton- born on its headwaters and have had a blast the last couple years chasing walleye on it. I do not believe walleye are any threat to the greatest trout stream in the U.S.
Andy

That is a huge walleye. Check out this one I caught in Minnesota. I thought it was a lake sturgeon when I hooked it. :eek:

It was 33 inches. So basically the same size as the one you found.

Brookie - what a great picture. That is a whale tail!
I bet ya that is 31 in. and 14.6 lbs
ah I see he said it was 33 in.

What do you guess that @ Big Sky?

Ben- I know you're always looking for a good hunt talk argument so I'll play ball. The Missouri between holter and cascade has 7000 trout per mile. The resource couldn't possibly be any healthier. Walleye are cool, eat great, and I think a little variety in sw montana is great- I absolutely love the mo- fish it a ton- born on its headwaters and have had a blast the last couple years chasing walleye on it. I do not believe walleye are any threat to the greatest trout stream in the U.S.
Andy

Andy,

I appreciate the response and while I was somewhat jesting to troll up Rat Fink, I do think that FWP has the right direction for walleye below Holter.

I'm supportive of diversity, but not at the cost of the Missouri River. That trout fishery brings in millions of dollars to local communities from Great Falls to Toston. The upper river already, in the reservoirs, has plenty of walleye. In fact, the introduction of walleye is often blamed for the decrease in the once trophy rainbow fishery in Canyon Ferry.

It is well documented that walleye can out-compete trout. I'm all for diversity, but not at the expense of one of the most important cold water fisheries in the state. The stretch from Holter to Cascade isn't that long and maintaining a trophy trout fishery in light of whirling disease, etc means trout folks get a little upset when the walleye folks want to increase walleye populations. The river is a great walleye fishery from Cascade down to Ft. Peck, and beyond. How much more of the river do walleye enthusiasts need?

Sharing means some places don't get walleye and others don't get trout. The Mo below Holter should be primarily a trout fishery.

I respect a lot of the folks who love walleye and I agree they're incredible table fare. But to force the species in an area that is an established trout fishery isn't good stewardship, in my opinion.

Cheers, and I hope your creel is full no matter what species you fish for. :)

Brookie, oops I didn't see (until now) where you snuck in that measurement below the photo.

For the record I like eating walleye. I don't love it, but I do like it. I can't stand to eat trout/salmon. With that said though, if I were forced to decide between equally huge trophy trout or trophy walleye, I would pick trout every time. There is no comparison in the way the two different fish fight. I've caught many walleye that felt like I was just reeling in a stick or a log. I've never had a trout act that way. One always knows when a big trout is on the end of your line. Just my way of saying I agree with Ben Lamb's statement above.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTOG
Back